Powered by Unacademy and upGrad’s mega deals, Indian startups raised $10.8 billion in the last two months
- A report by Tracxn says there were 256 deals in July and August 2021.
- Edtech startups cracked three of the top 10 deals in the last two months.
- Indian startups have raised $6.5 billion in the second quarter of 2021.
AdvertisementIndian tech startups have raised $10.8 billion in the last two months, a report by business intelligence firm Tracxn reported. The report further revealed that 256 deals were cracked in July and August 2021.
The Indian tech startup ecosystem had raised $6.5 billion across 412 deals in the April to June quarter of 2021. The ecosystem has raised $5.7 billion across 432 deals in the January to March quarter, the report added.
This means that even though fewer startups raised money in the first two months of the third quarter (July 1 to September 1), the funding amount increased significantly.
In August alone, Indian startups raised $3.2 billion across 115 rounds. Seventeen companies were acquired in the same month.
As usual, Bengaluru cracked the most number of deals.
|Delhi NCR||$276 million||31|
Three out of top 10 deals were edtech
Edtech giant Eruditus had cracked the biggest deal of August, when it raised $650 million led by Accel and SoftBank. The company was valued at $3.2 billion and turned out to be the fourth edtech unicorn — startup with over a billion dollar valuation — of India.
Ronnie Screwvala-led upGrad too entered the unicorn club, after raising $185 million at a valuation of $1.2 billion. The company raised fresh funds from Temasek, IFC (International Finance Corporation, a sister organisation of World Bank) and IIFL.
Unacademy, which is the second edtech startup to enter the unicorn club, raised $440 million last month in a round from Mirae Asset and SoftBank. The company is now valued at $3.44 billion.
Byju’s continues to be the highest valued edtech startup in the world, at a valuation of $16.87 billion.
Future of Work 2021: The only way to beat the bots from taking your job is to be more human
EaseMyTrip touches market cap of a billion dollars
Biocon, Hero MotoCorp, TVS Motor, banks and other top stocks to watch out for on September 17
Popular on BI
- Aether Industries Limited IPO — Checkout company balance sheet, performance and analysts views in 10 points
- Snapchat's parent company Snap slows down hiring process amid rising inflation rate, labour disruptions, and Ukraine
- Jio, Airtel and Vodafone Idea are reportedly planning on increasing prices again
- Venus Pipes & Tubes gains 3% on listing but falls short of analyst forecasts
- IPL 2022 first play-off match GT vs RR: Checkout the important players to watch out in today’s match