Future of Work 2021: The only way to beat the bots from taking your job is to be more human
- A PwC report predicts that 30% of the
jobswill be automated by the mid-2030s.
- However, Ronnie
Screwvalabelieves that saying that botsare going to replace humans is rather a simplistic way of seeing things.
- The key is to make oneself into a 360 degree person, armoured by both soft and hard skills, he noted.
In a conversation with Business Insider during its Future of Work event, Screwvala noted that the world is in the fourth era of industrial revolution and many things are bound to change. However, he is of the opinion that saying that “bots are going to replace the workforce is rather a simplistic way of seeing things”.
The jobs of tomorrow would lay emphasis on soft skills of an individual as hard skills can easily be managed by technology.
“When everyone says that you’re unemployable, it’s not because you don’t have the knowledge base. It’s because you don’t know what to do with that knowledge, you can’t communicate with that knowledge, you can’t collaborate with that knowledge… If you want to solve our employment problems today, people will have to be substantially entrepreneurial driven.”
If you are not able to communicate, analyse, participate — it is going to be very difficult for the information age, he added. The key is to make oneself into a “360 degree person”, armoured by both soft and hard skills.
'You are not going to be in top 20% of your company if you just focus on data analytics, you have to focus on soft skills too', says @RonnieScrewvala, Chairperson and Co-founder of upGrad, on the role, soft skills play in shaping one's career at @BiIndia's #FutureOfWork summit. pic.twitter.com/jhRWGe1e7Q— Business Insider India🇮🇳 (@BiIndia) September 16, 2021
A few examples of soft skills include critical thinking, complex problem-solving, resilience, flexibility, creativity, originality, initiative and emotional intelligence.
The first of those aspects is whether artificial intelligence (AI) is ready for it. According to Garg, AI is not developed enough to be at that stage, however it has the potential of getting there in the future. Again, some jobs may have to work in alignment with this deeptech technology.
“I can put it on autopilot and be feasibly comfortable. So things are improving a lot. Now let's take sales as an example. I'm trying to hire a salesperson, I will start evaluating this person based on their emotional touch. Are they going to be able to close the deal or not, can they negotiate with the buyer or not?” he noted.
According to a blogpost by Sweden-based HR-tech platform MuchSkills, the new age technologies — like artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML) or robotics — can automate a number of human tasks, they will not be able to replicate emotional, social and cognitive skills imbibed by humans.
“Between 1980 and 2012, jobs requiring high levels of social interaction grew by nearly 12 percentage points as a share of the US labour force. Math-intensive but less social jobs – including many STEM occupations – shrank by 3.3 percentage points over the same period,” wrote David J Deming in a paper titled The Growing Importance Of Social Skills In The Labor Market.
Biocon, Hero MotoCorp, TVS Motor, banks and other top stocks to watch out for on September 17
Biocon Biologics to offer 15% stake to Serum Institute Life Sciences at valuation of $4.9 billion
Sam Adams will craft beer using hops sent into Earth's orbit on SpaceX's Inspiration4
- Donald Trump supporters baffled and divided over his claim that Republicans won't vote in 2022 or 2024
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Marjorie Taylor Greene has Zoom call silenced after 'irrelevant' impeachment testimony during hearing of Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons