Design your resume with a basic font and cover letter to land a job
- Hiring managers spend merely six seconds on each
- According to resume experts, HR professionals don’t read resumes that are without a
- From the recruiter’s perspective, the key details a resume should have are the applicant’s work experience, achievements, education and skills.
- According to Indeed, the resume should be built with font size between 10 and 12 points.
Hence, crafting a good resume and cover letter is the first essential step to land a job. From a recruiter’s perspective, it should include the applicant’s work experience, achievements, education and skills.
What are the ‘Keywords’
According to the employment search platform Indeed, a well-crafted resume should include the very keywords that are a part of the job’s description.
For instance, if you are applying for the job posting of a coder or programmer, take the words or or coding languages listed in the description and add them to your skills — if relevant.
While providing information, ensure that your text is crisp and on-point. According to researchers, hiring managers spend merely six seconds on each resume. So, one should mention the skills right away at the top of the CV instead of beating around the bush.
While you list your skills, keep the ones most relevant to the job higher. The resume can have statistics. For instance, if it is a target-based job, the resume can include numbers on what and how much you accomplished at your last job.
Though the resume is a way to know the applicant, a cover letter is supplements it with a brief on skills and experience. According to resume experts, HR professionals don’t read resumes that are without a covering letter.
A cover letter should briefly explain your current job role, skills and metrics to let the employer know how you fit in perfectly.
The resume should be written concisely in an active voice. “During my time in the company, I handled various team projects and coordinated well with the team members.” It can be more effectively presented like “Led various team-based projects and effectively coordinated group tasks.”
No fancy fonts
The resume should not have too many fancy fonts. It should be clear and easy to read to make it look professional. According to Indeed, the resume should be built with font size between 10 and 12 points.
AdvertisementSoft skills can save your job from the machines but young professionals are severely short of it
Office politics and changing job roles are hurting employees the most, says a survey
‘Always On’ work culture is affecting mental health of Indians
Popular on BI
- Indian diamantaires want to make lab-grown diamonds a woman’s best friend
- MSME credit demand jumps 60% from pre-pandemic levels – a sign of rebound in economic activity
- Indian fintechs to grow 10x and manage assets worth $1 trillion by 2030
- Coffee Maker - Best coffee machine for home in India
- Although FII flows have reversed, retail investor confidence remains low thanks to macro concerns