Almost half the companies in India offering internships eventually hire the same candidates
- India’s youth is now banking on internships to add work experience to their resumes. Companies too are hiring interns before they roll out employment offers to university graduates.
- Almost half of the internships posted on
Internshala— online trainings and internship platform — came with pre-placement offers.
- One in every two internships that came with pre-placement offers was in management — offering business development, marketing, digital marketing, human resources (HR), and operations role.
- The highest stipend offered to intern is recorded at ₹85,000.
It is becoming a norm for companies to hire interns before they roll out offers to fresh graduates. Now, an internship is also turning into an informal promise of a job, depending on performance.
Almost half (48%) of the internships posted on Internshala — an online trainings and internship platform — came with pre-placement offers. However, the conversion is as per the candidate’s performance.
“Recruiting future employees through internship programmes is a tried and tested technique amongst employers. It provides them with enough time to test the interns’ competencies for the job as well as to see if the candidates are culturally fit for their organisation or not,” Internshala said.
Management is the most sought-after sector for internships and PPOs. One in every two internships that came with pre-placement offers was in management — offering business development, marketing, digital marketing, human resources (HR), and operations. This was followed by media, engineering and design roles at 18%, 16% and 8%, respectively.
Internship profiles in media and engineering included social media marketing, copywriting, editorial, web development,
Stipend and annual remuneration
According to Internshala’s PPO internship trends report, the companies that hire interns would earlier offer an average monthly stipend of ₹8,000. While the highest recorded stipend was at ₹85,000.
The average salaries offered after internships stood at ₹300,000 per annum. The highest remuneration offered to during 2018-19 was ₹1.1 million ( ₹11 lacs) annually to top tier B-school students.
India’s top b-school graduates are being paid over ₹2 lakh for summer internships
Warning! Do not apply to B-schools that don't offer access to internships
The top Indian colleges and organisations for internships, awarded by AICTE
- Study reveals why Covid-19 virus impacts patients differently
- India's new tax charter promises 'faceless' scrutiny — Here's what that means
- These are the companies that are making Remdesivir in India
- Oracle to modernise vital IT infrastructure in 112 most backward district, says NITI Aayog
- Canada forest fire forces 4,000 local residents to evacuate