Learn or leave — tech majors are either reskilling employees or slashing jobs
Cognizantis planning to reskill and redeploy roughly 5,000 senior level employees as a part of its structural rejig. Capgeminihas reskilled over 51,000 people in 2019 so far in technologies like cloud, devOps, and big data.
- Technology majors believe that they can improve their margins if their workforce is well-versed emerging technologies.
With technologies like AI and
Last month, Cognizant said that is planning to reskill and redeploy its senior level employees as a part of its structural rejig. “The gross reduction is expected to lead to a net reduction of approximately 5,000 to 7,000 roles as the company aims to reskill and redeploy approximately 5,000 of the total associates impacted,” said Karen McLoughlin, CFO, Cognizant in its latest earnings call.
And it is not just engineers that they want to be well-versed in technologies. It is also hiring 500 sales professionals skilled in digital technologies. As of June, the technology major had 288,200 employees — and over half of them are in India.
Capgemini too said that it reskilled over 51,000 of its employees in 2019 so far. They are skilled in emerging technologies like cloud, devOps, and big data. Last year, it upskilled over 60,000 employees through its ‘Automation Drive Academy.’ The initiative helps the company identify opportunities in the
The cloud of this silver lining is that neither of these tech majors are reskilling ‘all’ its employees. As companies are restructuring, these upskilling projects run parallel to job losses. Capgemini has already started laying off 500 people in India to improve productivity. In Cognizant too, as many as 7,000 mid and senior level jobs are on the line — accounting for 2% of its workforce.
Benching, firing and re-deploying — the story of 20,000 employees at tech majors
Over half of Indian students will not have skills for 21st century jobs, warns UNICEF
7,000 Cognizant jobs are on the line as the tech major rejigs workforce
Popular on BI
- WhatsApp introduces the “Message Yourself” feature, working on voice status updates and more
- Live your life American Express’ Platinum way: Exceptional privileges, rewards and experiences
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- India will succeed in handling inflation better: Sitharaman
- India's GDP growth comes in at 6.3% in Q2: manufacturing, mining witness negative growth
- Dharmaj Crop Guard IPO subscribed by a whole 35.49 times on last day
- Sensex, Nifty50 rewrite all-time highs yet again – RIL, HDFC twins most active, ICICI Bank touches new 52-week high
- Bollywood films failing is a phase, our films will bounce back strongly: Kajol