Learn these 6 technical skills for a career in software development — and its more than just programming languages
- Globally, software development is one of the highest paying tech jobs.
- In the US, 19% of the job applications were of software engineers — making it the most sought after tech job role, according to a Glassdoor report.
- The most popular job roles include Blockchain engineer, Security engineer, Embedded engineer, Data engineer, and Back end engineer among others.
Globally, software development is one of the highest paying tech jobs. With more and more Indians planning career overseas, the demand has surged over the past few years. In the US, 19% of the job applications were software engineers — making it the most sought after tech job role, according to a Glassdoor report.
Within the tech space, the demand for blockchain technologies, data science and network security has been at an all-time high. Coding bootcamps also help software engineers prepare for the job market.
The most popular job roles include blockchain engineer, security engineer, embedded engineer, data engineer, back-end engineer, machine learning engineer, mobile engineer, full stack engineer, and front-end engineer.
Here are the six
- Programming languages
This also includes languages specific to app development — Android, iOS and Windows.
- Data Structures & Algorithms
Online learning platforms such as Codechef, GeeksforGeeks and HackerEarth are a beneficial way to optimise on algorithms and coding skills.
- Operating Systems
Linux, Windows and Mac are the common operating systems used by developers.
SQL (Structured Query Language) database is the most common among developers. Others include Oracle, PostgreSQL, and MongoDB.
- Networking and Security
This calls for the need to add a layer of security to the information and applications developed by the programmers. Cryptography is used to encrypt sensitive information. Developers should know the data encryption algorithms so as to make the systems secure.
- Testing and Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) is used to measure the precision of the software — from analysis to maintenance. The SDLC phases include Requirement analysis, feasibility study, design, implementation and coding, testing, deployment and maintenance.
AdvertisementLearn these 4 skills to become a top notch digital marketing expert
Top soft skills than can help new-age employees beat competition from machines
The hottest AI jobs will need you to know these programming languages and tools
Popular on BI
- This Indian couple plans to get married in a Hogwarts-themed metaverse to beat the pandemic's restrictions
- Here are some of Netaji’s inspirational quotes as India remembers its valiant fighter
- Lifecycle of cryptocurrencies – From creation to trade and destruction
- Reliance Industries net profit more than triples in the last eight quarters to $2.8 billion
- Reliance Retail earns $1.3 billion more than its best-ever quarter