Chia Network, the company behind Chiacoin, raises $61 million at a $500 million valuation
- The funding round was backed by marquee names like a16z (Andreessen Horowitz), Richmond Global Ventures, and more.
- The company is founded by Bram Cohen, the founder of the BitTorrent peer-to-peer protocol.
Chiacoinintends to offer a green alternative to bitcoin.
The funding round was backed by marquee names like a16z (Andreessen Horowitz), Richmond Global Ventures, Breyer Capital, Slow Ventures, True Ventures, Cygni Capital, Naval Ravikant, Collab+Currency, and DHVC.
Chia Network is a blockchain and cryptocurrency platform that runs Chiacoin. The company is founded by Bram Cohen, the founder of the BitTorrent peer-to-peer protocol. The
AdvertisementCohen has often hinted that his ambition is to float the company on a stock exchange, adding a layer of legitimacy. While cryptocurrencies have come a long way in adoption, their integration with the existing financial system is still rough. Coinbase achieved a significant achievement and set a precedent by becoming the first publicly listed crypto exchange.
"We want to make digital currency easier to use than cash," Gene Hoffman, Chia's president and chief operating officer, said in an interview with Bloomberg.
Chiacoin, the green alternative to Bitcoin?
Bitcoin has received a lot of criticism lately for being too energy-hungry. The rush to mine as quickly as possible gave birth to
Chiacoin was recently unveiled and is based on a "proof of space" concept for mining. In simple words, bitcoin requires computing power to calculate complex algorithms. Chiacoin uses storage on a hard drive to mine, in turn, consuming exponentially lower energy. The proof is that some disk or SSD space is actually used to store specific data.
The cryptocurrency's circulation is limited now, and you can purchase it from sites like Gate.io. The team has revealed that it'll be available on mainstream crypto exchanges soon. For now, the community has started mining as much
AdvertisementThe cryptocurrency market is also uncertain, but companies are now striving to find a unique selling point, gradually adding fundamentals to an otherwise speculative investment.
This banking tech startup is the newest Indian unicorn with a $1.45 billion valuation
A total lunar eclipse explained, and you can see one soon enough
WhatsApp says it will wait for the Indian government to pass the Personal Data Protection law before limiting features
Black, white and yellow fungi — all you need to know about symptoms and prevention
Popular on BI
- 'Harry Potter' had a chance to represent Indian kids like me, but all we got were Parvati and Padma Patil's atrocious Yule Ball outfits
- Manchester United owners are getting drawn to the world's biggest cricket league – here's why
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Twitter now lets anyone on Android and iOS host Spaces
- PUBG: New State with ‘PC-like’ gameplay will officially launch on November 11
- Nykaa has added a skincare brand to its shopping cart, a week before its IPO
- Indian Prime Minister’s vaccine celebration may really be a pitch for a ratings upgrade
- Here’s how to install Android apps on Windows 11