Drugmaker Madrigal just came out with some promising data for its treatment of NASH, a 'silent disease' millions are living with - and the stock is exploding
- Madrigal Pharmaceuticals just came out with positive new data for its treatment of a "silent" disease millions are living with.
- The condition, NASH, short for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, is a type of liver disease in which liver fat builds up in people. There are no approved treatments for NASH, though there are some in late-stage development with data expected in 2019.
- Madrigal showed in a phase 2 study with 73 patients that its treatment was better than placebo at reducing fat in the liver, and the treatment managed to resolve NASH in 27% of the patients who received treatment, compared to just 6% of those in the placebo group.
- Madrigal's stock was up 60% before markets opened on Thursday on the results.
Popular on BI
- Strong bank loan growth in FY23 despite higher interest rates: Fitch
- Startups are leading office real estate leasing in India: JLL
- Domestic air passenger traffic crosses 4-lakh mark for two straight days
- S&P cuts India's growth forecast to 7% for FY23
- Digital lending platforms see 3x year-on-year rise in disbursals to ₹14,016 crore in Q2 FY23