India detects 14 new cases of mutated COVID-19 strain in UK returnees, putting the tally at 20
- Fourteen new cases of UK COVID-19 strain have been detected in India over the last 24 hours bringing the total tally to 20.
- Delhi has the highest number of new strain cases with eight samples testing positive, followed by Bengaluru with seven positive cases.
- The new mutated strain of the COVID-19 virus is pegged to be 70% more transmissible than the classic virus.
Samples from Delhi show the highest frequency with eight cases testing positive for the new strain in the national capital, followed by NIMHANS in Bengaluru with seven positive cases.
|Lab||Positive cases for new strain|
|NIMHANS, Bengaluru (Karnataka)||7|
|CCMB, Hyderabad (Telangana)||2|
|NIBG Kalyani (West Bengal)||1|
|NIV, Pune (Maharashtra)||1|
The new strain of COVID-19, which wreaked havoc in the UK, is 70% more transmissible. “The UK variant is more transmissible,” said K Vijayraghavan, the principal scientific advisor to the Indian government. “We must take extraordinary precautions to prevent these kinds of variants from dominating our population.”
However, it’s not a cause for concern as far as vaccines are concerned. “There is no evidence that current vaccines will fail to protect against COVID-19 variants reported from the UK or South Africa,” added Vijayraghavan.
Tracking down people returning to India from the UK has reportedly been challenging for the authorities. Pune, for instance, is yet to trace 109 travellers and Odisha has been given a list of 74 more people who could be possible carriers.
In Andhra Pradesh, the state’s Health and Family Welfare department has been able to trace 1,406 UK returnees out of the 1,423 identified, according to commission K Bhaskar.
From uprooting mobile towers to cries of #BoycottJio— the farmers’ protests in India are heating up and spreading far and wide
The new strain of COVID-19 is a lot more contagious, warns India's Health Ministry
COVID-19 vaccines will work against new mutant strains of the virus, according to Indian government
Popular on BI
- A student who accidentally became a millionaire with a cult following after selling his expressionless selfies as NFTs says he feels confused
- After 10-minute grocery delivery, a 15-minute ambulance service grabs investor interest
- Fortune oil maker Adani Wilmar is looking to acquire southern players in edible oil, FMCG industry
- Budget Session Part I: Rajya Sabha to sit in morning, Lok Sabha in evening due to Covid restrictions
- Best 65-inch smart LED TV in India
- Budget Session Part I: Different timings for Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha in view of Covid
- Smriti Mandhana named ‘ICC Women’s Cricketer 2021’; Here’s a look at her achievements so far
- Scammers are exploiting Google, Amazon and Apple’s services to steal crypto