Meet Gen. Bipin Rawat, the newest and the first Chief of Defence staff in India
Bipin Rawatis set to take oath as India’s first Chief of Defence staff.
- Before this, he served full three-year terms as the Indian
Army Chiefafter he superseded two officers in 2016.
- Rawat had also served as the Vice Chief of Army Staff for a brief period from September 1, 2016 to December 31, 2016.
Rawat had also served as the Vice Chief of Army Staff for a brief period from September 1, 2016 to December 31, 2016.
An alumnus of St. Edward School, Shimla, the National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla and, Indian Military Academy, Dehradun, Rawat was commissioned into the 5th battalion of the Eleven Gorkha Rifles in 1978.
Counter insurgency specialist and high altitude warfare experience.
Rawat was well known for his experience in high altitude warfare and counter-insurgency operations. He led an infantry battalion along the Line of Actual Control ( a line that separates Indian territory with that of China in Jammu and Kashmir) in the eastern sector; an infantry division in the Kashmir Valley; and a Corps in the Eastern theatre and the Southern Command. He was also a part of instructional appointments at the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun and at Army War College, Mhow.
As the Chief of Army Staff, Rawat brought about many reforms such as bringing in leaner combat formations. He implemented integrated battle groups — a self-sustaining combat formation equivalent to the size of a brigade — to rapidly mobilize operations.
Rawat along with former Defence Minister
He had also pursued M. Phil in Defence Studies from Madras University- and received his Ph. D in military media strategic studies from Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut. The maverick also has a diploma in management and computer studies.
He even authored authored numerous articles on ‘National Security’ and ‘Leadership’.
SEE ALSO :
AdvertisementChai for Pichai: The lifestyle of Sundar Pichai— not a ‘morning person’ — who mixed Sambhar in Payasam
Meet the 33-year-old Chennai techie who spotted Vikram Lander on Moon’s surface and alerted NASA
Popular on BI
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- Google may release Pixel Tablet Pro with Tensor G2 chip
- BMW launches its 3rd gen BMW X1 in India
- YouTube Music on the web gets mood filters
- Premium segment contributed 35% of overall smartphone market revenue in 2022
- US industry urges FM to rationalise, simplify direct and indirect taxes in India