All we know about the Palghar lynching case from credible sources
- Amidst a lockdown meant to curtail the spread of the novel
coronaviruspandemic, a case of mob lynching in India is creating a communal fervour.
- The state government has ordered a high-level inquiry into the incident, and the case has been transferred to Maharashtra Crime Investigation Department (CID).
- According to PTI, the incident took place on April 16 night when three men, Swami Kalpvriksha Giri, Swami Sushil Giri and their driver Neelesh Telgade from Kandivali were dragged out of their car and beaten to death with sticks by a mob.
- After the issue escalated on social media, the Union Home minister Amit Shah ordered regular reports from Maha CM Thackeray.
The Maharashtra police arrested all of the Palghar lynching case accused
Yet, the social media lynchmob made hashtags like ‘Hindu saints murder’, and ‘Palghar lynching’ trend on Twitter, pinning the blame on Muslims while none of the authorities have identified the attackers as Muslim.
The Palghar incident has been acted upon. The police has arrested all those accused who attacked the 2 sadhus, 1 dr… https://t.co/z3VAi0xnyK— CMO Maharashtra (@CMOMaharashtra) 1587316917000
What happened in Palghar?
The vehicle carrying the three victims was stopped near a village in Palghar after rumours they were kidnapping children to harvest organs, including kidneys. The three were dragged out of their car and beaten to death with sticks by a mob on suspicion that they were thieves.
The police reached the spot, and when they put the victims in the police car, the mob attacked them again. Policemen have also been injured in the incident. Though all three were finally brought to the hospital, they were declared brought dead.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray has said stern action would be taken against those involved in the lynching of the three men.
Was it a Muslim lynchmob?
“Police have detained 101 people involved in the killing of three Surat bound people in Palghar. I have also ordered a high-level inquiry into these killings,” he added.
हमला करनेवाले और जिनकी इस हमले में जान गई - दोनों अलग धर्मीय नहीं हैं।बेवजह समाज में/ समाज माध्यमों द्वारा धार्मि… https://t.co/7zC2FxCg8C— ANIL DESHMUKH (@AnilDeshmukhNCP) 1587318870000
The reaction has been widespread
The state government has ordered a high-level inquiry into the incident, and the case has been transferred to Maharashtra Crime Investigation Department (CID). Union Home minister Amit Shah intervened in the matter after the issue escalated on social media. Shah in a conversation with Maharashtra CM Thackeray asked him to submit a report to the centre.
In the #Palghar case of mob lynching, till now 110 accused (of local tribal community) have been arrested out of wh… https://t.co/RdDLHhMQo4— Maharashtra Police (@DGPMaharashtra) 1587370909000
Appeals have been made not to spread fake news to give the Palghar lynching a communal colour. Maharashtra state Home minister Anil Deshmukh also warned people that, “police will monitor those who create rifts in the society.”
CM’s address: have updated HM Shri Amit Shah on the Palghar incident& asked him to ensure action is taken against t… https://t.co/eznqsMs4hQ— Priyanka Chaturvedi (@priyankac19) 1587373021000
But calls for vengeance pile up on social media including from leaders like BJP Member of Parliament
@artiation @myogiadityanath Palghar is in Maharashtra where the CM is the son of Balasaheb, the Shiv Sena founder.… https://t.co/TOdeOBXhUJ— Subramanian Swamy (@Swamy39) 1587337326000
Akhlaq’s murder made Muslims living all over the country ‘feel unsafe & insecure’ . Why shouldn’t Hindus feel the s… https://t.co/IWUg4KJIfK— Balbir Punj (@balbirpunj) 1587380786000
List of coronavirus hotspot in mumbai
- Uber, Ola hit a speed bump as Indian government caps surge pricing and issues new guidelines
- Farmers' protest: Delhi government denies permission to police to use stadiums as temporary jails
- Adani completes ₹1,300 crore acquisition of Alipurduar Transmission from Kalpataru Power
- Chaos at Tikri border as protesters clash with police
- Five patients killed after fire breaks out at ICU of COVID hospital in Gujarat, PM Modi condoles deaths