TN Cyber security on high alert as phishing attacks rise
In the past two months, two people have lost money to phishing in the name of electricity bills.
On June 7, one V.
Even as the Tangedco and the Cyber wing of the Tamil Nadu police were creating awareness among the public not to fall prey to such fraudulent messages. However, on Friday, a woman consumer of Tangedco, Krishnaveni (52) , of
She received a link and the scamster asked her to pay Rs 10 as a trial and within minutes she lost Rs 4.2 lakh to the scam.
Cyber cell police have commenced the search for retrieving the money. A senior officer with the Chennai Cyber police wing told IANS that if the victims lodge a complaint immediately with the Cyber wing, the money can be traced and retrieved. He asked the people to contact the cybercrime helpline number 1930 if they fall victim to such a crime.
He said that the action has to be immediate as it would be difficult to recover the money once it is withdrawn.
Cyber wing police officers told IANS that the fraudsters are targeting old people and middle-aged people who are not internet friendly and cheat using latest phishing techniques.
Tangedco, meanwhile, issued a rejoinder that the power utility does not send such SMS alerts or links and called upon the public to immediately contact the consumer service department or the cyber cell of the police if such incidents are coming to notice.
VC funding dips in India in Q2 as investors focus on cash preservation
From avatars to hiding online status—list of top new upcoming WhatsApp features
Popular on BI
- Indian startup founders celebrate Paytm’s success as company posts first operating profit
- Zookeepers were stumped when a female gibbon got pregnant while alone in her cage. 2 years later they say there was a tiny hole that she and a neighboring male used to copulate through.
- Not just LIC, 32 mutual fund houses have exposure to Adani Group stocks
- Over 16 lakh people renounced Indian citizenship since 2011
- TRAI's move to display callers' names endangers privacy, imposes costs says industry body IAMAI
- This V-day, Indians want ChatGPT to play Cupid & write their love letters
- Rate hikes will not impact collections efficiency of NBFCs: ICRA
- No new Covid variants emerged during China's recent outbreak: Lancet study