India's consumer affairs minister Ram Vilas Paswan passes way at 74
- Union Minister
Ram Vilas Paswanpassed away at the age of 74 years.
- Prime Minister
Narendra Modisaid, "I am saddened beyond words," expressing his remorse over the death of one of India's most notable Dalit leaders.
- He died at a hospital in Delhi where he had undergone heart surgery a few days ago.
पापा....अब आप इस दुनिया में नहीं हैं लेकिन मुझे पता है आप जहां भी हैं हमेशा मेरे साथ हैं। Miss you Papa... https://t.co/Qc9wF6Jl6Z— युवा बिहारी चिराग पासवान (@iChiragPaswan) 1602169805000
Paswan had been in active politics for more than five decades and was one of the country's most noted Dalit leaders. His most recent position was as the country's Minister for Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to Twitter to express his remorse. "I am saddened beyond words," he wrote.
I am saddened beyond words. There is a void in our nation that will perhaps never be filled. Shri Ram Vilas Paswan… https://t.co/FADBuZNiHt— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) 1602171791000
Other political leaders including President Ram Nath Kovind, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal also expressed their condolences on social media.
In the demise of Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan, the nation has lost a visionary leader. He was among the most act… https://t.co/SgXHQXkQOj— President of India (@rashtrapatibhvn) 1602171388000
Paswan's political career began as a member of the Samyukta Socialist Party (SSP), when he was elected to the Bihar Legislative Assembly in 1969. Five years down the line, Paswan joined the Lok Dal in its early days and rose to become the general secretary.
It was only at the turn of the millennium that he though about forming his own party and the Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) was born with Paswan as its helm as president.
(with inputs from PTI)
India’s Defence Ministry removes three-years worth of monthly reports from website
Infosys to acquire US-based data analytics company for $125 million — deal expected to close in third quarter
IN PICS: IAF displays its might with Rafale, Apache, Tejas, and others during the annual Air Force Day airshow
TCS and Wipro lead rally in IT stocks after TCS CEO announces multi-year 'technology transformation' cycle in the works
Popular on BI
- Sam Altman, who was already wealthy before starting OpenAI, reportedly doesn't own any equity in the company behind ChatGPT
- Five planets will stage a rare spectacular event in the night sky on March 28
- Elon Musk reportedly left OpenAI's board in 2018 after Sam Altman and other cofounders rejected his plan to run the company
- Crompton Greaves Consumer Electricals and kitchen appliance maker Butterfly announce merger
- ICMR comes up with first ethical guidelines for application of AI in biomedical research, healthcare
- Measures taken by IIFCL to keep bad loans under check: Parliamentary panel
- Microsoft adds 'AI-generated stories' to its Bing search
- Housing sales up 14% annually in Jan-Mar to 1.13 lakh units across top 7 cities: Anarock