India's consumer affairs minister Ram Vilas Paswan passes way at 74
Union MinisterRam Vilas Paswan passed away at the age of 74 years.
- Prime Minister
Narendra Modisaid, "I am saddened beyond words," expressing his remorse over the death of one of India's most notable Dalit leaders.
- He died at a hospital in Delhi where he had undergone heart surgery a few days ago.
पापा....अब आप इस दुनिया में नहीं हैं लेकिन मुझे पता है आप जहां भी हैं हमेशा मेरे साथ हैं। Miss you Papa... https://t.co/Qc9wF6Jl6Z— युवा बिहारी चिराग पासवान (@iChiragPaswan) 1602169805000
Paswan had been in active politics for more than five decades and was one of the country's most noted Dalit leaders. His most recent position was as the country's Minister for Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to Twitter to express his remorse. "I am saddened beyond words," he wrote.
I am saddened beyond words. There is a void in our nation that will perhaps never be filled. Shri Ram Vilas Paswan… https://t.co/FADBuZNiHt— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) 1602171791000
Other political leaders including President Ram Nath Kovind, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal also expressed their condolences on social media.
In the demise of Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan, the nation has lost a visionary leader. He was among the most act… https://t.co/SgXHQXkQOj— President of India (@rashtrapatibhvn) 1602171388000
Paswan's political career began as a member of the Samyukta Socialist Party (SSP), when he was elected to the Bihar Legislative Assembly in 1969. Five years down the line, Paswan joined the Lok Dal in its early days and rose to become the general secretary.
It was only at the turn of the millennium that he though about forming his own party and the Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) was born with Paswan as its helm as president.
(with inputs from PTI)
India’s Defence Ministry removes three-years worth of monthly reports from website
Infosys to acquire US-based data analytics company for $125 million — deal expected to close in third quarter
IN PICS: IAF displays its might with Rafale, Apache, Tejas, and others during the annual Air Force Day airshow
TCS and Wipro lead rally in IT stocks after TCS CEO announces multi-year 'technology transformation' cycle in the works
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- A half-mile installation just took 20,000 pounds of plastic out of the Pacific - proof that ocean garbage can be cleaned
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles