Milky Way's neighbour might not be so ‘dead’ with young stars brewing at its center
NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center
Hubble Space Telescopehas spotted a dwarf elliptical galaxy Messier 110with new stars at the center.
- Elliptical galaxies are normally thought of as 'dead' were no gases available for the formation of new stars.
- The discovery of blue stars at the center of Messier 110 hint that elliptical galaxies have the potential to create new stars.
But the Messier 110 might be an exception.
TOP VIDEOS FOR YOU
The galaxy looks like the many elliptical galaxies in between the Milky Way and the Andromeda galaxy — Milky Way's closest neighbor — except for one major difference. Messier 110 isn't as 'dead' as it was thought to be.
An image captured by the Hubble Space Telescope shows that there are bright blue young stars at the center of the galaxy. They're at least thrice the size of the Sun. Since they're bigger in size, they burn much hotter and much quicker.
This is highly uncommon because dwarf elliptical galaxies like Messier 10 lack arms and the notable pockets of star formation, according to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration ( NASA).
Dwarf elliptical galaxies don't normally contain new stars. Astronomers believe this is because
Another theory for the lack of new stars is that dwarf ellipticals are only by-products of collisions between major galaxies. The collision is theorised to strip away the gas required for forming stars.
But, the discovery of new stars in Messier 110 negates both those hypotheses.
AdvertisementElliptical galaxies, themselves, aren't uncommon. They're actually quite common in groups and clusters of galaxies. The Messier 110 is a close neighbor of the Milky Way and one of the satellite galaxies circling the Andromeda galaxy.
Two dead stars are causing an eclipse every seven minutes
'Zombie' stars are coming back to life and scientists are on the hunt for more
AdvertisementHubble has found a black hole disk that should be non-existent
- 5-star rating refrigerator (fridge) in India
- Best soundbar with Dolby Atmos in India 2021
- Best soundbars with a wireless subwoofer
- Myntra signs up Hrithik Roshan, Vijay Deverakonda and Dulquer Salmaan as its newest brand ambassadors
- Google is now using Chrome as an added security layer for account sign-ins