Hubble has found a black hole disk that should be non-existent
- Astronomers have found a
black hole diskwhere one shouldn’t exist using the Hubble TelescopeImaging Spectrograph (STIS).
black holein the NGC 3147 Spiral Galaxy may be malnutritioned but it still has a disk of material circling its gravitational field 10% faster than the speed of light.
- The black hole’s disk is embedded so deep in is
gravitational pullthat even light is having a hard time escaping.
But, one black hole in the NGC 3147 Spiral Galaxy, with a mass 250 times that of our Sun, is breaking that postulate.
Even though the black hole is malnutritioned and much smaller than its counterparts in more active galaxies, astronomers using the Hubble Telescope have detected a
We thought this was the best candidate to confirm that below certain luminosities, the accretion disk doesn't exist anymore. What we saw was something completely unexpected.
The disc is a scaled down quasar — a celestial object that emits an exceptional amount of energy — that’s normally found in objects that are at least a 1000 times brighter.
Suffocating the light
The disk is so close to black hole’s gravitational pull that even light is having a hard time escaping — coming out as stretched wavelengths that appear red.
This is an intriguing peek at a disk very close to a black hole, so close that the velocities and the intensity of the gravitational pull are affecting how the photons of light look.
It’s also surprising that a black hole assumed to be starving is whirling material around at 10% faster than the speed of light. As the gas gets closer to Earth, it turns brighter and dimmer as it moves away — a phenomenon called relativistic beaming.
Our very own black hole in the Milky Way doesn’t quite eat up ‘everything’
A black hole bigger than the sun is pulling on the fabric of space and time
The ‘fuzzy’ photo of the black hole could soon be sharp as a knife
- Samsung launches Galaxy S23, S23 Plus and S23 Ultra - All you need to know about the new flagship phones
- First Impressions: Samsung Galaxy S23, S23 Plus, and S23 Ultra bet big on photography and gaming
- Gautam Adani takes the high road and calls off Adani Enterprises FPO after a 28% crash in stock price
- Budget Impact: 10 stocks that stand to gain from FM’s announcements
- Budget to boost confidence of global investors and rating agencies on the India story