Hubble has found a black hole disk that should be non-existent
- Astronomers have found a
black hole diskwhere one shouldn’t exist using the Hubble TelescopeImaging Spectrograph (STIS).
black holein the NGC 3147 Spiral Galaxy may be malnutritioned but it still has a disk of material circling its gravitational field 10% faster than the speed of light.
- The black hole’s disk is embedded so deep in is
gravitational pullthat even light is having a hard time escaping.
But, one black hole in the NGC 3147 Spiral Galaxy, with a mass 250 times that of our Sun, is breaking that postulate.
Even though the black hole is malnutritioned and much smaller than its counterparts in more active galaxies, astronomers using the Hubble Telescope have detected a
We thought this was the best candidate to confirm that below certain luminosities, the accretion disk doesn't exist anymore. What we saw was something completely unexpected.
The disc is a scaled down quasar — a celestial object that emits an exceptional amount of energy — that’s normally found in objects that are at least a 1000 times brighter.
Suffocating the light
The disk is so close to black hole’s gravitational pull that even light is having a hard time escaping — coming out as stretched wavelengths that appear red.
This is an intriguing peek at a disk very close to a black hole, so close that the velocities and the intensity of the gravitational pull are affecting how the photons of light look.
The study, published in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, used the Hubble Telescope Imaging Spectrograph (STIS) to prove their hypothesis around lower luminosity active galaxies and how malnourished black holes can also use gas trapped by the gravitational field to form discs of material.
Our very own black hole in the Milky Way doesn’t quite eat up ‘everything’
A black hole bigger than the sun is pulling on the fabric of space and time
The ‘fuzzy’ photo of the black hole could soon be sharp as a knife
- Farmer unions now announce plan to march towards Parliament on Budget day
- Pradhan Mantri Bal Puraskar to be awarded to 32 children on Republic Day
- Birla is making Asian Paints and Berger Paints change colours— and it’s bad news for those who got shares in Indigo IPO too
- Farmers to march towards Parliament from different locations on Budget day on February 1: Farmer leader Darshan Pal. PTI TRS GJS GJS TIR TIR
- Apple doubles its India market share this winter thanks to the launch of its online store and sales of iPhone 11, XR and 12