India’s financial capital is dealing with the worst traffic congestion in the world and New Delhi isn’t too behind: Study
- Mumbai takes the top spot for being the city with the worst traffic flow in the world for the second consecutive year.
- An average commute during peak hours in Mumbai takes 65% longer than usual travel time.
- New Delhi is standing just a few spots away from Mumbai at fourth position.
While New Delhi stands just a few spots away from Mumbai at fourth position. The report studied congestion in 403 cities across 56 countries in six continents.
Mumbai takes the top spot for the second consecutive year. An average commute during peak hours in Mumbai takes 65% more time because of traffic while it takes 58% longer in Delhi to travel during rush hours.
AdvertisementThe top five most congested cities in the world are Mumbai followed by Colombian capital, Bogota (63%), Lima in Peru (58 per cent), New Delhi (58 per cent) and Russian capital, Moscow (56%).
Traffic congestion has been rising globally over the last 10 years and all the cities included in the Traffic index report are either witnessing constant rise in traffic congestion or have been constant during 2017 and 2018.
Out of the 403 cities included only 90 cities that have shown measurable decreases. Most of the decreasing trend was seen in Asian cities mainly in Jakarta where the congestion fell by 8%. Every city in South America posted an increase in congestion with Lima, Peru witnessing 8% increase.
"Globally, traffic congestion is rising. And that's both good and bad news. It's good because it indicates a strong global economy, but the flip side is drivers wasting time sitting in traffic, not to mention the huge environmental impact," Ralf-Peter Schaefer, TomTom's Vice President of Traffic information said.
The report suggested that the car makers, technology, companies and road authorities will have to design tool to make roads less congested.
Popular on BI
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons