Nearly 93% of the population in India lacks vocational and technical skills: Report
- Nearly 93% of the population in India did not receive any vocational or
technical training, according to Periodic Labour Force Survey(PLFS) 2017-18.
- In contrast, as many as 1.5 million(21%) people have gained skills and jobs under the country’s
Skill India mission.
- Globally, nearly 73 million young people are unemployed, according to the
- In the last budget speech, the government had announced industry relevant skill training for 10 million youth in India.
According to the Periodic
As per the recent developments, as many as 1.5 million people have gained skills and jobs under the country’s Skill India mission. However, it is only 21% of the total trainees — 7.2 million — who enrolled for the programme.
Adding to the trouble, nearly half of the youth that is trained is not employed, as per the PLFS data. Approximately three in every five skilled women were recorded as unemployed. This clearly indicates an alarming rate of unemployment in India.
Globally, nearly 73 million young people are unemployed, with 40 million joining the labour market each year. And, that calls for the need to create 475 million new jobs over the next decade, according to the United Nations.
Young people are almost 3 times more likely to be unemployed than adults. On Monday's World Youth Skills Day, learn… https://t.co/vxtwr9yW7V— United Nations (@UN) 1563141720000
In a bid to boost employment in the country, the government announced industry relevant skill training for 10 million youth during the budget speech. The focus will be on building skills in technologies like — Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, Virtual Reality, 3D printing and Robotics — to promote higher remuneration.
Only one in five people trained under government's Skill India Mission found jobs
Goa will reserve 4 in every 5 private jobs for locals-- making it the third Indian state to crackdown on migration
Urbanclap to become Skill India certified, will create a million micro-entrepreneurs in the country
Popular on BI
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- Germany relaxes Schengen visa rules for Indians
- Kanye West says he's selling Balenciaga, Adidas, and Gap hoodies for $20 after the companies all cut ties with him
- Revenge spending effect: Household savings dip to 5 -year low
- With no signs yet of inflation cooling, experts predict more rate hikes
- Covid hit mental health of kids, young people harder than thought
- Smog envelops Delhi, AQI remains in 'very poor' category
- Egypt president to be chief guest at Republic Day celebrations