Climate change is expanding the earth's lower atmosphere and it's not a good sign
- According to a new study, tropopause has been witnessing an increase in expansion over the past few decades.
- It’s expanding at a higher rate than before and this is due to
- The tropopause is defined as the upper limit of the troposphere which is the lowest layer of the atmosphere.
AdvertisementA new study shows the earth’s atmosphere is expanding due to climate change. The study revealed that the tropopause which sits on top of the troposphere has been expanding upward at around 164 feet every decade since 1980. The study also found that the troposphere has expanded at a faster rate after the year 2000.
The findings of the study published in the journal Science Advances detail how climate change is causing these changes in the lowest layer of the earth’s atmosphere. The tropopause is defined as the upper limit of the troposphere which is the lowest layer of the atmosphere. It also constitutes the boundary between the troposphere and the stratosphere. This is also where most of the atmospheric weather occurs, and the tropopause also expands and shrinks according to changing seasons.
But scientists discovered that this expansion rate is happening at an alarming rate. Scientists analysed data from 1980 to 2020 to examine how climate change is affecting tropopause. It analysed atmospheric data such as pressure, temperature and humidity along with GPS data. The results showed that due to the increasing quantities of greenhouse gases trapping more heat in the atmosphere, the tropopause is expanding even further.
Specifically, there was an increase of around 164 feet per decade between 1980 and 200. This later increased to an average of 174 feet between 2001 and 2020. The study also revealed that 80% of the total increase in temperature was due to human activities.
Although there is an increase in the expansion of the tropopause, there’s no conclusion yet on how exactly this would affect the climate or weather. But the study suggests this could lead to planes flying higher in the atmosphere to avoid turbulence.
The earth is losing its shine and here’s why we should be worried
A new report says cars must be banned latest by 2035 to limit global warming to 1.5-degree Celcius
Popular on BI
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- Wipro, Infosys, Tech Mahindra revoke offer letters given to freshers: Reports
- Reliance Jio and Airtel 5G prices may be affordable for now but expected to increase after wider rollout
- Redmi Pad Review: A decent tablet for the masses
- Electronics Mart India IPO is subscribed 1.69 times on day 1
- Big B’s best movies are back on the big screens - Here are 11 you can watch
- Reliance Jio to begin beta trial of 5G in four cities on Dussehra with unlimited data
- With 950 billionaires, Asia outnumbers all other regions: Forbes