The COVID-19 vaccine from Oxford and Astrazeneca shows 'promising' results in early human trials
- The vaccine was given to 543 volunteers and no serious side effects were found.
- However, 70% of the vaccinated volunteers experienced fatigue and 68% had headaches, higher rates than a control group given a meningitis vaccine.
- There is still much work to be done before we can confirm if our vaccine will help manage the COVID-19 pandemic, but these early results hold promise.
AstraZeneca became the latest to release data from its human trials, the clinical results were published in The Lancet. The vaccine was given to 543 volunteers and no serious side effects were found. However, 70% of the vaccinated volunteers experienced fatigue and 68% had headaches, higher rates than a control group given a meningitis vaccine.
"There is still much work to be done before we can confirm if our vaccine will help manage the COVID-19 pandemic, but these early results hold promise," Sara Gilbert, a professor at the University of Oxford, said in a statement Monday.
India's Serum Institute of India has entered a manufacturing partnership with AstraZeneca to produce and supply 1 billion doses of the COVID-19 vaccine being developed by Oxford University. This is one of the seven Indian pharma companies working on a vaccine against the novel coronavirus. Bharat Biotech, Zydus Cadila, Panacea Biotec, Indian Immunologicals, Mynvax and Biological E are the other Indian companies in the pursuit of a vaccine to end the pandemic.
Another vaccine from the American biotech firm Moderna is likely to start human trials in a week from now. The progress in vaccine may boost both public and market sentiment in the near term but it will be much longer it is available to the public.
Here's why it takes so long to develop a vaccine:
All the anti-viral clothing now in the market will not necessarily fend off COVID-19
The world can’t wait for good news from Oxford, Serum Institute and AstraZeneca — but that is only the first step
Popular on BI
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- Trump acted like 'the Godfather if it was reenacted by a 5-year-old' to try to keep his hands clean in Mar-a-Lago case: experts
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar
- Road accident death rate has dropped in Kerala after AI cameras became operational: Transport Minister