COVID-19 vaccine trial: Pfizer expects results by October end
- Pfizer is likely to know whether its
potential COVID-19 vaccine, BNT162b2), is effective by next month.
- Pfizer’s potential COVID-19 vaccine is one of three vaccines backed by the U.S.
Donald Trumpgovernment in July placed an initial order of 100 million doses for $1.95 billion.
“We expect by the end of October, we should have enough ... to say whether the product works or not. Our phase three study will be the only one that will allow us to say if we have a safe and effective vaccine. If we don’t have results from a phase three study, we would not submit,” said CEO Albert Bourla.
Pfizer’s potential COVID-19 vaccine is one of three vaccines backed by the U.S. The Donald Trump government in July placed an initial order of 100 million doses for $1.95 billion and added that it could acquire up to 500 million doses for Americans if the vaccine is effective.
AdvertisementIt recently enrolled 23,000 volunteers to test their COVID-19 vaccine. Further, data from the early-state vaccine trial was “ well tolerated with mild to moderate fever in fewer than 20% of the participants.”
The pharma company is going to enroll another 30,000 participants for its phase-III trials across 120 sites globally. CEO Bourla has also planned to supply up to 100 million doses by the end of the year and another 1.3 billion doses next year.
Pfizer’s statement comes at a time when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the US is asking states and local governments to prepare the sites for vaccine distribution as early as November.
Meanwhile, AstraZeneca said it is expecting results for the last-stage trial later this year. Johnsons and Johnson said it is going to start a Phase-III trial this month and is likely to deliver the first batch of vaccine by 2021.
According to the World Health Organisation, there are 176 COVID-19 vaccines under development, of which 33 have entered human trials.
SEE ALSO: A new interactive map lets you track where your city or town was located on Earth 750 million years ago
Popular on BI
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Qatar Airways says it is not accepting passengers on its flights from 2 African nations immediately due to the new Omicron variant
- Gautam Adani, the man who may soon be Asia's richest person, is a college dropout who survived the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks and says he was once kidnapped for ransom
- Paytm Q2 result — Operational revenue crosses ₹1000 crore, loss widens by ₹37 crore
- These Indian states have the highest number of international airports; UP tops the list
- Centre raises Bengal labour budget for creation of 27 cr man-days
- Over a million Ethereum tokens have been burned since the big upgrade, but transaction costs are still a pain point for the network
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200