COVID-19 – What is proning and how can it help you increase oxygen levels at home
- The availability of beds in a hospital has become a scarcity, while the demand for oxygen cylinders has shot up as India battles the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- For people, who are COVID-19 positive and are in home isolation, the Indian government has announced a medically approved technique of ‘
proning’ to help increase your oxygen levels.
- Proning will help in increasing oxygen levels at home.
India continues to battle a severe second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has also resulted in hospitals being overburdened. The availability of beds in hospitals has become a scarcity, while the demand for oxygen cylinders has shot up, as more and more people see their oxygen levels dipping.
Hospitals are advised for people whose oxygen levels are dropping beyond 92% saturation level. For people, who are COVID-19 positive and are in home isolation, the Indian government has announced a medically approved technique of ‘proning’ to help increase your oxygen levels and keep them in the safe zone (above 94%).
Proning is the process of turning a patient with precise, safe motions, from their back onto their abdomen (stomach), so the individual is lying face down.
For patients who are isolated at home, it is important to stay in a well-ventilated room and
Here’s how you can practice proning, as advised by the Indian health ministry
Proning with pillows
– Lie down on the bed and place one pillow below the neck, one or two more under the chest through upper thighs and two pillows below the shins.
You can also try proning by following the below mentioned steps for 30 minutes each
– Lay down on your left side
– Lay down on the right side
– Sit up with a pillow on your back
However, avoid proning immediately after meals and ensure that you aren’t uncomfortable in any given position. “Keep a track of any pressure sores or injuries, especially, around bony prominences,” as mentioned in the ministry bulletin.
Pulse oximeter buying guide - here's how to choose the right oximeter for home
- Kerala's COVID-19 test positivity rate reaches 27.28% with over 42,000 new cases today
- Adani Power registers profits after a disappointing loss-making quarter last year
- Star India Network garnered a cumulative reach of 352 million in the first 26 matches
- Rabindranath Tagore Jayanti 2021: Remembering some of his greatest words
- Non-residents will have to pay tax in India if transactions exceed ₹2 crore