How to increase blood oxygen levels at home for covid patient as advised by the Indian health ministry
- The availability of beds in a hospital has become a scarcity, while the demand for oxygen cylinders has shot up as India battles the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- For people, who are COVID-19 positive and are in home isolation, the Indian government has announced a medically approved technique of ‘
proning’ to help increase your oxygen levels.
- Proning will help in increasing oxygen levels at home.
India continues to battle a severe second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has also resulted in hospitals being overburdened. The availability of beds in hospitals has become a scarcity, while the demand for oxygen cylinders has shot up, as more and more people see their oxygen levels dipping.
Hospitals are advised for people whose oxygen levels are dropping beyond 92% saturation level. For people, who are COVID-19 positive and are in home isolation, the Indian government has announced a medically approved technique of ‘proning’ to help increase your oxygen levels and keep them in the safe zone (above 94%).
Proning is the process of turning a patient with precise, safe motions, from their back onto their abdomen (stomach), so the individual is lying face down.
For patients who are isolated at home, it is important to stay in a well-ventilated room and
Here’s how you can practice proning, as advised by the Indian health ministry
Proning with pillows
– Lie down on the bed and place one pillow below the neck, one or two more under the chest through upper thighs and two pillows below the shins.
You can also try proning by following the below mentioned steps for 30 minutes each
– Sleep on your belly
– Lay down on the right side
– Sleep on your belly
– Sit up with a pillow on your back
However, avoid proning immediately after meals and ensure that you aren’t uncomfortable in any given position. “Keep a track of any pressure sores or injuries, especially, around bony prominences,” as mentioned in the ministry bulletin.
Pulse oximeter buying guide - here's how to choose the right oximeter for home
- 10 Beautiful staycation options in Mumbai
- Reliance Retail receives full subscription amount of Rs 2,069.50 cr from KKR, allots 1.71 cr shares
- As inflation continues to remain high, RBI likely to keep interest rates unchanged
- 10 Beautiful staycation options in Bangalore
- Micron begins construction on $2.7 bn India semiconductor plant in 'epic' beginning