How to wear double mask correctly to protect against COVID-19
- Using face masks is an important tool in the fight against COVID-19.
- Now, new studies have determined that double masks offer up to 95% protection against the spread of this disease.
- The US CDC recommends using surgical masks in combination with cloth masks.
- Find out the best way to wear double masks.
Advertisement(Disclaimer: This should not be considered medical advice. Please check with your doctor on medical procedures.)
Double masks to prevent COVID-19 is another protective measure that you can make use of, to reduce your chances of getting infected. Double masks refer to the practice of wearing two masks, helping create a stronger barrier against COVID-19.
Studies done by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that double masking can reduce your exposure to the COVID-19 virus by up to 95%.
Before we get started, there are two important things for you to keep in mind:
- Make sure your mask fits snugly against your face. This is important because a mask that does not fit properly can leak respiratory droplets in and out, making it ineffective.
- A mask with layers offers better protection, as it creates a stronger barrier for respiratory droplets.
How to wear double masks properly
According to multiple studies conducted by the US CDC, double masks can prove to be very effective in preventing the spread of COVID-19. However, this is only applicable when you wear the double mask properly.
There are two ways of wearing double masks properly.
1. Using a surgical mask with a cloth mask
Cloth masks alone are not recommended, but pairing them with a
Doing this is very simple, too. First, wear the surgical mask and then the cloth mask on top of it.
CDC suggests that the cloth mask should push the edges of the surgical mask against your face. In simple words, the cloth mask should offer a tight, snug fit.
2. Knotting the ear loops of a 3-ply surgical mask
The second method is to knot the ear loops of a 3-ply surgical mask. Watch the video below for a step-by-step guide on how to do this:
Pick a mask with nose wires
AdvertisementAnother important aspect to consider while choosing a face mask is that it should have a nose wire.
Good quality surgical masks come with an embedded nose wire on one side. When you wear the mask, push the nose wire so it closes any gaps that may be present.
Some other masks come with a metal wire, which offers an even more snug fit.
Double masks – Don’ts
The US CDC says that you should not:
- Combine two surgical masks as they are not designed to fit tightly.
- Combine a N95 mask with any other mask.
Drugs used to combat COVID-19 — what works and what doesn’t
The COVID-19 crisis would be much worse without these good samaritans of India providing home-cooked food, financial assistance and medicines
Indian corporates, VCs and startups are now looking to charter flights and import oxygen cylinders and concentrators into the country
Popular on BI
- Fuel your morning: Wholesome South Indian breakfast ideas for health
- Vodafone Idea shares tumble 14%, mcap erodes ₹10,806.7 cr
- National parties declare income of ₹3,077 cr in 2022-23; BJP has highest share
- Human trials may reveal efficacy of new Rs 100 cancer pill: Docs
- Multiplexes' revenue growth to dip to 15% in FY25 as OTTs crimp profit margins