The promise of the first new Alzheimer's drug in nearly 2 decades
Welcome to Business Insider's daily healthcare newsletter, your daily dose of pharma, biotech, and
Hello,While we wait to hear more about the results of the presidential election, here's the latest in healthcare news.
Biogen just gained $16 billion in market value, as investors increasingly expect approval of the first Alzheimer's drug in over 15 years. Here's what comes next.
- What could be the first disease-modifying Alzheimer's drug got a step closer to US approval on Wednesday.
- The US Food and Drug Administration released crucial documents Wednesday summarizing the evidence for and against
Biogen's experimental treatment called aducanumab.
- The FDA documents stated Biogen has "provided substantial evidence of effectiveness to support approval."
- The agency is aiming to make a decision on aducanumab by March 7, 2021 at the latest.
Massive healthcare companies like UnitedHealth Group and Anthem are soaring in the wake of an undecided election — and it's because an overhaul of health insurance is looking less likely
- Health insurance stocks like Cigna and
UnitedHealth Groupsoared on Wednesday morning, even though the 2020 presidential election remains undecided.
- Analysts said it's clear from the election results so far that big healthcare policy changes are unlikely over the next four years.
- The "Blue Wave" failed to materialize, which one analyst said is an "excellent" results for health insurers.
The US surpassed 103,000 new daily COVID-19 cases, the highest single-day count in the entire pandemic. And the deadliest wave is yet to come.
- The US reportedly surpassed 103,000 COVID-19 new daily infections on Wednesday, the COVID-19 Tracking Project reported.
- Experts have warned the US is entering the "deadliest" wave of the pandemic as cold weather sets in and people begin hunkering down indoors.
- Close to 9.5 million Americans have already been infected with COVID-19 and over 233,650 have died.
- Oregon voted to legalize the sale of psychedelic mushrooms (Business Insider)
- Gilead is suing health clinics in Florida for alleged HIV drug program fraud (Bloomberg Law)
- There's a 'small chance' Oxford University's COVID-19 vaccine will be ready this year, according to the director of its clinical trial (Business Insider)
- Abbott sued a former executive for allegedly trying to take COVID-19 testing secrets to a rival company (Stat News)
- 25 kg gold jewellery and ₹96,000 cash stolen at gunpoint from Muthoot Finance branch in Tamil Nadu
- Rajasthan: Budget session from February 10
- IPL players auction to be held on February 18, says BCCI official
- Sensex slips 763 points, Nifty ends below 14,400 — metals, banks drag market lower
- Indian Railway Finance Corporation IPO allotment: Here’s how to check share allotment status