Vivek Murthy is the new US representative on WHO board
Dr Murthy Twitter
- Dr Murthy, 45, will serve in the new position alongside his continued duties as the
US Surgeon General.
- As the nation's doctor, the Surgeon General's mission is to help lay the foundation for a healthier country.
- Dr Murthy also commands a uniformed service of over 6,000 dedicated public health officers.
Dr Murthy, 45, will serve in the new position alongside his continued duties as the US Surgeon General, the White House said in a statement.
He was confirmed by the US Senate in March 2021 to serve as the 21st Surgeon General of the country. He previously served as the 19th Surgeon General under President Barack Obama.
As the nation's doctor, the Surgeon General's mission is to help lay the foundation for a healthier country, relying on the best scientific information available to provide clear, consistent and equitable guidance and resources for the public.
"While serving as the 21st Surgeon General, Dr Murthy is focused on drawing attention to and working across government to address a number of critical public health issues, including the growing proliferation of health misinformation, the ongoing youth mental health crisis, well-being and burnout in the health worker community, and social isolation and loneliness," said the White House.
As the Vice Admiral of the
The first Surgeon General of Indian descent, Dr Murthy, was raised in Miami and is a graduate of Harvard, the
A renowned physician, research scientist, entrepreneur and author, he lives in Washington, DC with his wife Dr
SEE ALSO: Freshers feel the heat as IT majors put onboarding on indefinite hold
With 950 billionaires, Asia outnumbers all other regions: Forbes
UPI is India’s favourite payment mode with transactions worth ₹30.4 trillion in April-June, says report
Popular on BI
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- Germany relaxes Schengen visa rules for Indians
- Kanye West says he's selling Balenciaga, Adidas, and Gap hoodies for $20 after the companies all cut ties with him
- WhatsApp rolls out contact cards sharing on Windows beta
- FIFA WC: Lionel Messi doing well, says Argentina manager Scaloni amid injury concerns
- ADB, Wabag sign USD 25 mn debt facility for sanitation, water security in India
- RBI pauses onboarding of online merchants by Paytm Payments Services; firm says no material impact on biz
- Over 50% of microbusinesses had no mechanisms to cushion Covid impact, Road to Recovery report says