We asked 3 dietitians what they would order at Burger King for a high-protein meal
- Insider asked dietitians what they would order from Burger King for a high-protein meal.
- The Double Cheeseburger was chosen by two, and adding bacon provides even more protein.
US adults are advised to eat 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight a day, but active people require more to help with muscle growth and repair.
Restricting your diet often backfires and can lead to what some health professionals call a "binge-restrict cycle."
Here is what three qualified nutrition professionals told Insider they'd order if they wanted to choose a high-protein meal at Burger King.
Alix Turoff: Double Cheeseburger
Registered dietitian Alix Turoff said she would order either a Double Hamburger or a Double Cheeseburger.
A Double Hamburger contains 350 calories, 18 grams of fat, 26 grams of carbs, and 21 grams of protein, and a Double Cheeseburger contains 390 calories, 21 grams of fat, 27 grams of carbs, and 23 grams of protein.
"This keeps things under 500 calories but ensures you can get at least 20 grams of protein," she said.
Nichola Ludlam-Raine: Big Fish and Sprite Zero
Registered dietitian Nichola Ludlam-Raine said she would opt for the Big Fish, because it's rare to see fish as an adult option in fast-food outlets.
"I love fish and it's also packed with lean protein as well as iodine which supports a healthy thyroid and metabolism," Ludlam-Raine said. "The pickles also look delicious and provide fiber which is great for your gut bacteria."
Ludlam-Raine said she would add a Sprite Zero to drink as it's sugar and caffeine-free. "I prefer to get my caffeine from coffee!" she said.
The Big Fish has 561 calories, 30 grams of fat, 55 grams of carbs, and 18 grams of protein.
Graeme Tomlinson: Bacon Double Cheeseburger, fries, and Coke Zero
Registered nutritionist Graeme Tomlinson said he would order a Bacon Double Cheeseburger with Classic Fries and a Coke Zero.
"The burger is 539 calories and has 33 grams of protein which is relatively protein-dense for a fast food meal," he said.
All in all, the meal provides 945 calories, 49 grams of fat, 91 grams of carbs, and 38 grams of protein.
- iQOO Neo 9 Pro vs OnePlus 12R – which mid-range phone should you buy?
- Surrogacy rules changed, couples with medical condition can use donor gametes
- Reliance Jio and Airtel add subscribers as Vi’s subscriber base continues to decline
- Sensex, Nifty advance in early trade on positive global cues
- Infosys CEO Salil Parekh joins USISPF Board