The Omicron wave of infections in the US will peak by January 21, expert projects
- Jeffrey Shaman is an infectious disease modeler at Columbia University.
Omicronwill peak within the first one to three weeks of January, according to his model.
Infections by the Omicron
On January 5, the US reported more than 700,000 of new cases of
And case numbers could soon be on their way down, according to Columbia University's Dr. Jeffrey Shaman, an infectious disease modeler and epidemiologist.
"Our projections depict a rapid surge of cases nationally that peaks at record high numbers during the first one to three weeks of January," he wrote Thursday.
New York City is likely to hit its peak by the end of the week, Shaman wrote, with other cities following in the next two weeks. The wave will likely produce a record number of new cases, "but a smaller fraction of those cases will require hospitalization," in part because more Americans are vaccinated now than ever before.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala