Salman Khan regains his fizz with a Pepsi endorsement years after Coke drops him
- Thumbs Up had dropped Khan as its brand ambassador in 2016 for a younger star, Ranveer Singh.
- He had also lost another endorsement Revital to a much younger icon and top cricketer M S Dhoni.
- Khan’s Dabbang 3 is one of the most talked-about movies of the year, and Pepsi has tied up with it too.
‘ Bollywood ka bhai’
Yet, years later, Khan became the unceremonious King of cinema and they brought him back in 2012 — only to drop him again in 2016. Except this time around, he was not being a bad boy, but an old man.
Thumbs Up, which had cashed in on his ‘macho image’ which is synonymous with the brand, wanted a ‘younger’ brand ambassador. They chose not to renew Khan’s contract and went with Ranveer Singh instead.
As per reports, the brand wanted a star who had more appeal with ‘millennials’ — Singh’s forte. The very same year, Khan lost yet another endorsement — Revital — to a much younger icon and one of the top cricketers in the country, M S Dhoni.
Luck turns around for Khan
The 53-year old Khan has not lost relevance with his audience. This year, he delivered a superhit with Bharat which clocked in ₹325 crore. And this time around, Pepsi picked him to from the ‘effortlessly cool’ image of Khan.
“Over the last year, SWAG has been the underlying message throughout Brand Pepsi’s campaigns, celebrating the innate self-belief of the Indian consumer today. In 2020, we look forward to building the brand’s Har Ghoont Mein Swag proposition with Salman in 2020,” said Pepsi in a press release.
Unlike Thumbs Up, Pepsi believes that its new 360-degree campaign will reflect the self-confidence in today’s youth. More importantly, Pepsi also brought Khan in at an interesting juncture. Dabbang 3, which is all set to release in December, is one of the most talked-about movies and has been trending on social media. And, as expected, Pepsi has tied up with the movie as well. The sneak preview shows Khan promoting Pepsi with his signature Dabangg moustache.
In addition, the reality show Big Boss, which is currently streaming and hosted by Khan, is the top rated show in the country. Even though he only appears on the show once a week, the episode featuring him is the most-watched during the 7-day cycle.
AdvertisementMaybe that is why Khan had remained a ‘bhai’ to his audiences in spite of his age.
Popular on BI
- Sansera Engineering IPO — How to check allotment status, listing date and more
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- Amazon is investigating its lawyers for allegedly bribing Indian government officials
- Noise ropes in Taapsee Pannu as its brand ambassador for smart wearables
- Online fantasy gaming startup earns almost five times Dhoni's Chennai Super Kings
- Samsung's first F-series phone with 5G support, Galaxy F42, to launch soon
- 2021 Yamaha R15 V4.0, R15M, Aerox 155 launched in India — all you need to know
- Tara Sutaria to be the face of Olay India's premium skincare range