Mirabai Chanu becomes the first Indian weightlifter to win a silver medal at the Olympics
- With this win, she has opened the tally for India in this Olympics.
- Chanu’s historic win came in the women’s 49 kilogram category.
- The gold went to China's
Chanu -- who hails from India’s Manipur state -- was seen as one of the strongest medal contenders from India this year and this is her second entry in the Olympics. The first time, when she entered the Rio Olympics, she was not able to give it her best, but this time she has made the country proud.
The gold went to China's Hou Zhihui, who was just too good on Saturday, July 24.
President Ram Nath Kovind and Prime Minister Narendra Modi led the country in congratulating Mirabai Chanu, who ended India's 21-year wait for a weightlifting medal at the Olympics.
The 26-year-old lifted a total of 202kg (87kg+115kg) to better Karnam Malleswari's bronze in the 2000 Sydney Olympics and open India's account in Tokyo.
With this, she exorcised the ghosts of the 2016 Games where she had failed to log a single legitimate lift.
(With inputs from PTI)
Reliance Retail, the cash cow for Mukesh Ambani’s RIL, may be hit by the second wave of the pandemic
Zomato, Paytm, Sony LIV, Disney+Hotstar back up after glitch takes down internet
Popular on BI
- Shimla stipulated 75 ponds Amrit Sarovar for water conservation to mark Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav
- Mumbai breathes its cleanest air ever for the second time this monsoon
- Reliance Jio, Voda step up hiring as 5G related job postings up 65%
- Rupee gains 22 paise against the dollar as crude prices ease, FPIs come back
- Cabinet clears proposal to raise ECLGS corpus to Rs 5 lakh cr for tourism and hospitality sector