Respect for women essential for India’s progress: PM Narendra Modi
Narendra Modimade a strong case for gender equality, starting with the family as the foundation for creating "unity and solidarity" in the society.
- In the next 25 years, women will play a significantly larger role in public life, according to Prime Minister Modi, who also noted that their potential is incalculable
- Physical violence is more prevalent among women in rural areas (32%) than it is among those in urban areas (24%).
AdvertisementIn this Independence Day speech this year, Prime Minister Narendra
PM on ‘Gender Equality’
The prime minister attacked the patriarchal mentality, expressing his pain and distress over the use of derogatory language against women, and he pleaded with everyone to commit to ensuring that women are respected and not humiliated.
"What I wish to share is that it hurts me to say that we have witnessed a perversion in our day-to-day speaking behaviour. We have been casually using language and words that are insulting to women," he said.
"Can we not pledge to get rid of everything in our behaviour, culture and everyday life that humiliates and demeans women? " the prime minister asked.
In the next 25 years, women will play a significantly larger role in public life, according to Prime Minister Modi, who also noted that their potential was incalculable. If we focus more on this and give our daughters more opportunities and resources, they will give us much more in return, the Prime Minister added.
Abuse against women in India
According to the
Physical violence is more prevalent among women in rural areas (32%) than among those in urban areas (24%), and the likelihood that a woman will experience violence decreases sharply with higher levels of education and wealth, both for the female victim and the male perpetrator.
Popular on BI
- Jhulan Goswami’s two decade-long career is ‘monumental’, says BCCI on her retirement
- Chandigarh airport to be named after Bhagat Singh: PM Modi
- RBI set for fourth straight rate hike to quell inflation, say experts
- No peace overtures expected between India and Pakistan
- Space dedicated to food and beverage companies in malls on the rise post pandemic
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Rice and Pulses
- IIT Guwahati
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- Biggest Billionaires
- Sundar Pichai
- Home Loan
- Vinod Shantilal Adani
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Accenture earnings forecast
- India's Richest People
- Best 5G Smartphone
- Rana Kapoor
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World