Google is considering manufacturing up to a million Pixel smartphones in India, says report
Pixelsmartphones in India.
- The company is expected to produce up to 1 million devices in the country.
- Google is scheduled to introduce the Pixel 7 and the Pixel 7 Pro on October 6.
AdvertisementGoogle is all set to introduce its new flagship smartphones, the Pixel 7 and the Pixel 7 Pro, at its Made by Google event on October 6. Ahead of the launch, a report has revealed that the company is considering starting manufacturing Pixel devices in India.
According to a report by The Information, Google is considering moving some of the production of Pixel smartphones to India amid production disruptions in China due to the COVID-19 lockdowns and heightened tensions between Beijing and Washington.
The report has claimed that Alphabet has requested bids from manufacturers in India to produce 500,000 to 1 million devices, which is around 10 to 20% of its annual production.
Sundar Pichai, the company’s chief executive officer, reportedly reviewed a plan for Pixel phones production in India earlier this year, but the company has yet to decide. It is to be noted that even if the company moves the production to India, components will still be imported from China.
In addition to India, the company is reportedly considering manufacturing in Vietnam.
Google may follow Apple’s footsteps
Apple recently introduced the iPhone 14 series in India, and a report last month revealed that the company would start producing the device in India soon after the launch.
According to the report, the Cupertino giant will start the production of the devices in India within two months as part of the company’s diversification of its supply chain amid clashes between the US and Chinese governments and frequent lockdowns in China that have impacted its production.
At the moment, it is unknown whether Google will manufacture the flagship Pixel devices in the country or affordable devices like the Pixel 6A.
OnePlus 11 Pro spotted with an alert slider and a redesigned camera setup
Here’s how much the iPhone 14, new Apple Watches and the AirPods Pro 2nd generation will cost in India
Indian companies dominate the TWS segment with over 70% of the market share, but domestic manufacturing remains at 16% at best
Popular on BI
- A Trump spokeswoman mocked Pete Buttigieg's military service in a Memorial Day weekend spat with Ron DeSantis
- Family stands to lose nearly $6,000 in airfare and hotel costs after they were bumped from an overbooked cruise ship
- Flyers are 'skiplagging' to try and save money on flight tickets. Airlines hate it.
- These are must to do activities in Shimla on your next visit
- ONGC to invest ₹1 lakh cr in energy transition, targets net-zero by 2038
- List of famous things to buy in Shimla
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- Screen-sharing and usernames on WhatsApp soon: All you need to know