Amid reports of ban on Chinese budget smartphones, Mukesh Ambani reveals Reliance Jio and Google are working on an affordable 5G smartphone
Jiois set to begin 5G services in the country by Diwali this year.
- The company is also working on developing an affordable 5G smartphone with
- The company may benefit if Chinese companies are banned from the Indian budget smartphone segment.
AdvertisementOver the past few weeks, there have been reports that the government is planning on banning Chinese companies from the budget smartphone segment. This is reportedly aimed at boosting domestic companies as Chinese companies dominate the Indian smartphone segment.
Experts have been sceptical about how beneficial this will be as Chinese smartphone makers account for nearly 80% of the market share in the budget segment, and they believe domestic companies may not be able to fill the void left by the Chinese smartphone makers.
Reliance Jio has announced that 5G services will launch in India this Diwali, starting in key cities of India, including Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai.
During the 45th annual general meeting of Reliance Industries,
Reliance Jio may benefit from a ban
As domestic companies may not be able to meet the demand if Chinese companies are banned from the budget smartphone segment, Reliance Jio may benefit from this.
Reliance already has good experience with churning out affordable smartphones. The company’s Lyf brand had a market share of around 7% in
Q1 2017 and occupied the fifth position in the Indian smartphone segment.
The company’s affordable JioPhone became one of the most popular budget phones in the country during 2018 and accounted for over 35% of the feature phones market share in Q1 2018, as per a Counterpoint report.
Experts also believe that Jio may benefit from a ban in India. “Sub ₹12,000 category will see very careful participation from Chinese players unless there is clarity. It surely is an advantage Jio but making 5G under ₹12,000 is also not easy,” said Tarun Pathak, Research Director, Counterpoint Research.
Currently, it is not clear how the upcoming device from Jio and Google will be priced. However, we expect the company to launch devices under ₹12,000. We should know more about the upcoming smartphone in the coming days.
Indian phone brands may not be able to fill the void that Chinese budget phone ban may create
Jio set to launch True 5G services across major Indian cities this Diwali
How to use JioMart on WhatsApp
Popular on BI
- Seeking nominations for the 2024 rising stars of adtech
- Eli Lilly stock will surge 29% over the next year with its weight-loss drug on pace to do $60 billion in sales by 2030, BofA says
- A millennial who quit her office job to live in a school bus explains what her lifestyle costs and how she makes 6 figures freelancing
- Mukka Proteins IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Know what are the 7 signs and symptoms of high cholesterol in your body
- Tata Motors to demerge biz into two separate listed companies
- Best drinks for constipation relief and digestive ease
- 10 Reasons why you should opt for plant-based diet