Oppo’s new Flexion hinge has made flip phones more practical and crease minimal
Business Insider India
- Oppo recently launched the Find N2 Flip, its first flip smartphone globally.
- The Find N2 Flip uses the company’s new
Flexionhinge, making the crease nearly invisible.
- The company has now revealed more details about its new Flexion hinge.
AdvertisementOppo recently unveiled the Find N2 Flip, the company’s first flip phone, which takes on Samsung’s Galaxy Z Flip 4. One of the important things that separate the Find N2 Flip from other flip phones in the market is its Flexion hinge mechanism.
One of the biggest issues with foldable and flip phones was the presence of a crease in the middle. While this did not make the phone unusable, it was still an eyesore.
Oppo has now revealed more information about the Flexion hinge, which it has reportedly worked on for the last five years, giving us a better idea about the technology.
Flexion hinge – design and features
The Flexion hinge has not only made the crease nearly invisible, it has also made it possible to pack a large cover display and a bigger battery with the Find N2 Flip. The smartphone maker has said that the hinge used by the company has a larger bending radius, resulting in a lighter crease and reduced screen deformation compared to a U-shaped hinge.
Oppo has claimed that it has used fewer parts to create the hinge, which has helped it offer a cleaner and more stable design. The hinge uses a 1/4 spindle assembly, allowing it to hold firm between 45 degrees and 110 degrees when folded.
The Flexion hinge is equipped with a stainless-steel element injected with a soft and pliable material. The company claims this ensures that the hinge delivers a 15% higher tensile and 25% higher yield strength compared to traditional hinge designs.
Oppo has used aircraft-grade carbon-fiber reinforced polymer that is durable and lightweight, allowing it to offer the perfect amount of flex and firmness.
As mentioned earlier, the hinge has allowed the company to fit a 3.26-inch cover display, the biggest cover display on a flip phone. Samsung, on the other hand offers a 1.9-inch cover display with the Galaxy Z Flip 4.
The Find N2 Flip has a 4,300mAh battery as the hinge has helped the company free up space. For comparison, the Galaxy Z Flip 4 offers a 3,700mAh battery.
These two Indian brands have together sold more smartwatches than Samsung in 2022
Four out of five wireless earbuds sold in India in 2022 were from an Indian company
Realme GT3 with 240W charging can charge from 0-100 in nine minutes - launch date, specs, and more
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk and more than 1,000 people sign an open letter calling for a pause on training AI systems more powerful than GPT-4
- A second giant 'hole' has appeared on the sun, and it could send 1.8 million mph solar winds towards Earth
- We used ChatGPT to plan international trips - here’s a tour of the results!
- Sebi to boost disclosure norms; do away with permanent board seats for individuals
- Here are the ten big income tax rule changes that will come into effect from April 1
- Not just for OTT, people rely on digital to discover & engage with content across TV and movies: BCG-Meta Report
- SPC Lifesciences files draft papers with SEBI for IPO
- Sensex rallies 346 pts, Nifty near 17,100 on firm global markets