Samsung is reportedly working on a dual screen phone with a transparent display
Samsungis reportedly working on a dual screen phone with a transparent display.
- A patent filing revealed the design of the device.
- The secondary display of the device will reportedly feature a transparent design.
AdvertisementAfter dominating the foldable phones segment with a market share of over 60%, Samsung is reportedly working on a dual screen phone with a transparent display at the back.
According to a report by SamMobile, the Korean smartphone maker filed a patent with the World Intellectual Property Office (WIPO) in January this year. The patent has now been published.
The patent showcases a phone with a secondary display at the back. While a device with a secondary display is nothing new, what makes this device unique is the display technology used by Samsung.
The secondary display which has been mentioned is reportedly transparent. This display may work like a normal display or an always-on display when turned on. However, when the display is turned off, it will reportedly blend with the rest of the smartphone and will be invisible.
The user will reportedly be able to turn on the display fully or partially, allowing users to use it either as a display or an always-on display for notifications, using a logo or any other information.
Another way the display can be used is while using the selfie camera. The device will reportedly allow users to use the rear cameras to capture selfies, giving users a view of the subjects.
Will give Samsung an edge
While Samsung has been dominating the foldable phones market for quite some time, it may soon face competition from the likes of
Xiaomi recently introduced the Mix Fold 2 in China that offers a similar design as the Galaxy Z Fold 4 and comes with similar specifications but is available at a lower price. At the moment, there is no information about the device’s global launch.
Google has also been working on a foldable phone for quite some time now and a recent report has revealed the design of the device.
With the new dual screen device, Samsung may get an edge over its competitors amid increased competition in the foldable segment. However, it is too early to talk about a device with this technology and a lot may change by the time the device is launched.
Google foldable phone patent spotted, expected to launch next year
Indian phone brands may not be able to fill the void that Chinese budget phone ban may create
The upcoming iPhone 14 may be produced in India by Diwali this year
Popular on BI
- Flyers are 'skiplagging' to try and save money on flight tickets. Airlines hate it.
- Electricity prices in Finland flipped negative — a huge oversupply of clean, hydroelectric power meant suppliers were almost giving it away
- After Germany enters recession, fears in Singapore of 'technical recession'
- Ambati Rayudu announces retirement from IPL
- Data protection bill to drive deep behavioural changes for platforms exploiting data: Chandrasekhar
- MS Dhoni set to play 250th IPL match of his career
- Samsung Galaxy A34 5G review: A Mid-range marvel
- 10 ways to reduce your home loan EMI burden