Google Street View now available in India – eligible cities, how to use and everything you need to know
Google Street Viewis now available in 10 cities in India.
- The Indian government had banned
Street Viewsecurity concerns in 2016.
- Here’s everything you need to know about
how to use Google Street View in India.
Google Street View, a feature that allows you to view 360-degree panoramic street images is now finally available in India, after being banned by the government over 6 years ago.
The government had cited security concerns raised by Indian agencies as the reason for banning Google Street View. Street View is currently live in over 100 countries already.
Google has been able to launch Street View in India thanks to the new geospatial policy that was announced last year. It allows local companies to collect data and license it to foreign companies. For this, Google has partnered with Genesys International and Tech Mahindra, allowing it to bring Street View to India.
The two companies have together covered over 1,50,000 km across the country.
Where is Google Street View available in India?
At present, Google Street View is limited to 10 cities. It will be expanded to 50 cities by the end of the year.
How to use Google Street View?
If you are living in one of the 10 eligible cities, you can start using Google Street View by following these steps:
- Open Google Maps on your device.
- Click on the Map Type button on the right side.
- In the Map details section, click on “Street View”.
- Now, go back to maps and tap on any location.
- You will be able to access different locations by tapping on the arrow buttons.
AdvertisementInterestingly, the announcement comes at a time when homegrown MapmyIndia announced MappIs RealView, its own 360-degree panoramic street view. While Google has covered 1,50,000 km across India, MapmyIndia has covered 1,00,000 km.
A massive data breach in 2020 impacted 3.4 million Paytm users – here’s how to find out if your data was compromised
OnePlus 10T to launch soon in India – launch date, expected specifications and everything you need to know
Samsung teases its upcoming foldable phone - check out the expected design and features
Popular on BI
- The Cybertruck's lack of door handles confused its first buyers — leading Elon Musk to show them how to open the truck
- Adani Group to invest USD 75 bn to scale up AGEL's RE portfolio to 45 GW: Gautam Adani
- OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI. Here's how her team built her new chatbot.
- Electric eels can change the genetic composition of other organisms by shocking them!
- Exploring vibrant flavors: 10 healthy salad options in India
- 10 dry fruits to include in your daily winter diet
- Paytm to focus on big ticket loans to low-risk credit-worthy customers
- 10 Cities in India perfect for a chill and relaxed life