Vaping is linked to lung injuries that have claimed 6 lives. Here's what we know about how bad vaping is for public health.
- Health officials have reported six deaths and at least 450 cases of lung injury connected to vaping.
- Patients with vaping-associated lung injury display a wide array of respiratory symptoms, including coughing and chest pain.
- Doctors still don't know what's behind the surge in vaping-related lung injuries. They suspect it's not nicotine or THC, but other chemicals like vitamin E acetate that might be present in the vape device.
- People who vape are exposed to other serious health risks, beyond lung injury, doctors say. For example, nicotine, which can be present in high concentrations in e-cigarettes, is linked to brain development issues.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.