8 Easy Tips To Keep Diseases At Bay
AdvertisementWe are increasingly succumbing to a sedentary lifestyle, resulting into growing waistlines that trigger a number of lifestyle diseases, such as obesity, hypertension, diabetes, and even heart conditions. But simple lifestyle changes can go a long way in preventing these diseases. All you need to do is sync eight basic
1. Take the stairs
Ditch the elevators for the stairs whenever it is possible. However, you should do it gradually as going too fast, too early can cause injury. Begin with taking the stairs up to the second floor before you switch to the elevator. Walking down the stairs is beneficial, too. Just keep the pace moderate.
2. Stay hydrated
When you feel tired, chances are you are actually dehydrated. Similarly, try to treat that craving or an untimely hunger pang with lots of water. You will be surprised to know that you were actually thirsty and not hungry. Inadequate water intake can also lead to high blood pressure, lack of concentration and even memory lapse in a few cases. Have at least 8-10 glasses of water in a day.
3. Say no to ‘white’ carbs
Go for whole wheat breads and pasta, and increase your fibre intake by including more fruits and veggies in your diet. Develop a taste for oats as they are high in fibre as well. According to research, fibre can increase your fat burn as much as 30%.
4. Reduce your salt intake
Lowering your salt intake on a daily basis will lower your blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart conditions and stroke.
Extra flab around your belly opens a free way for diabetes to attack your body. Try to maintain a healthy body weight with regular exercise and a balanced diet. A minimum of 20-30 minutes a day is a must to stay fit and healthy.
6. Avoid stress
Stress is one of the major triggers of lifestyle diseases. While problems/issues can leave you stressed, worrying about stress can cause further stress – making you vulnerable to many lifestyle disorders. While it is not easy to stop thinking about stuff that matters to you, try to distract your mind. Go for calming activities like meditation, therapy and consulting a life coach.
7. Drink alcohol in moderation
Never go beyond 1-2 drinks per day. Eat some snacks along with them and try to space the drinks if you drink more.
8. Get enough sleep
Getting eight hours of uninterrupted sleep is imperative, if you want to be fit all the time. Adequate sleep reduces the risk of depression, heart ailments and obesity.
Popular on BI
- An overlooked group of borrowers will be hit hard as student loan repayments resume, former Fed economist says
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- Robin Williams' daughter says she finds AI recreations of her father's voice 'personally disturbing'
- Survey shows people find no improvement in public toilets across country
- Sebi extends deadline for listed cos to confirm or deny market rumours
- Tom Hanks, a dental plan promotion and an AI
- New 'inverse vaccine' shows potential to treat multiple sclerosis, diabetes: Study
- TDP leaders stage hunger strike In Delhi against arrest of Chandrababu Naidu