TCS has broken many records in the last three months — but that isn't good enough for the market
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) share price is down by nearly 4% after markets opened today morning.
- The company reported that net income for the quarter grew 15.6% to $1.26 billion with a wider margin of 26.8%.
- It even declared a dividend of ₹15 a share.
- While the numbers were impressive, they missed the street's estimates.
AdvertisementIndia's largest software exporter Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) posted its highest-ever revenue, the best growth in constant currency terms, the largest amount of new contracts, and hired the most amount of employees in any quarter. "We are making good progress in gaining share in the growth and transformation opportunity," Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Rajesh Gopinathan said in a company statement shared with the stock exchanges.
|Revenue||$5.9 billion||4.2% in constant currency (QoQ)|
|Order book||$9.2 billion||Highest TCV in any quarter|
|New hires||19,388||Most in any one quarter|
The net income for the quarter grew 15.6% to $1.26 billion with a wider margin of 26.8%. The company declared a dividend of ₹15 a share. However, some reports suggest that the bottom line has been below expectations.
TCS share price is already near its all-time high. Market participants expected a good quarter as the pandemic had forced companies to digitise their operations and process at a scale never seen before. The entire Nifty IT index, which includes peer stocks like Infosys, Tech Mahindra, and HCL Tech aside from the smaller peers, gained over 6.6% in the three months ending March 2021, a lot more than the benchmark index Nifty, which went up 5.1%.
But, despite the impressive earnings, TCS' stock is down 4% as markets opened after earnings. "It marginally improved its EBIT margin to 26.8% . The same was below our estimate [of] 27.2% on ramp-up of large deals," Motilal Oswal in its report.
The management of the nearly TCS, with a market capitalisation of ₹12 lakh crore ($170 billion), is expecting the current upswing in business to continue. And to capitalise on the trend, the company recently got itself a millennial makeover. Here's the Chief Marketing Officer explaining the rationale for the new look TCS in an exclusive interview with Business Insider.
#HangoutwithBI: @iyer_sriram in conversation with @TCS' Rajashree R on how India's largest software exporter TCS is… https://t.co/GJG2J8rQ3q— Business Insider India (@BiIndia) 1617100284000
The largest IT player in the Indian market saw most of its growth come from continental Europe. In fact, it's the only region to have registered a positive uptake in revenue as compared to last year.
However, this is in line with what was expected.
Right before the third quarter, the company had revealed that many of the European banks and insurance companies were going through a second generation of outsourcing. Their last deals were struck over a decade ago, and the time for renewals had come around.
Hence, the massive growth seen in Europe goes hand-in-hand with jump in revenue seen from the BFSI vertical.
Retail, as well as communications, may also see an uptake in coming quarters with TCS bringing the Walgreen Deal worth $1.5 billion in February and partnering with Ericsson to build a cloud-based research and development workplace.
Google Docs and Google Drive is down for some users around the globe, including India
Stock markets plunge by over 3.5% wiping off over ₹8 lakh crore of investor wealth – but may recover soon as per analysts
LG Wing gets a ₹40,000 price cut a week after the company shuts its smartphone business
Popular on BI
- A Trump spokeswoman mocked Pete Buttigieg's military service in a Memorial Day weekend spat with Ron DeSantis
- Family stands to lose nearly $6,000 in airfare and hotel costs after they were bumped from an overbooked cruise ship
- Flyers are 'skiplagging' to try and save money on flight tickets. Airlines hate it.
- These are must to do activities in Shimla on your next visit
- ONGC to invest ₹1 lakh cr in energy transition, targets net-zero by 2038
- List of famous things to buy in Shimla
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- Screen-sharing and usernames on WhatsApp soon: All you need to know