India is home to 81 unicorns now as Mamaearth, Globalbees make it to the list
- On an average, India saw four startups turn unicorns on a monthly basis.
- A unicorn, in startup parlance, is a company valued at over $1 billion.
GlobalBeesraised $111.5 million, while Mamaearthraised another $80 million.
AdvertisementIndia is now home to 81
GlobalBees, on December 29, announced that it has raised $111.5 million in a round led by Premji Invest. The round also saw participation from new investor Steadview Capital as well as existing investors SoftBank and
The company runs on a Thras.io model, which is a New York-based e-commerce player that acquires small merchants and brands listed on Amazon marketplace. After the acquisition of Amazon sellers’ businesses, the brand scales them up.
GlobalBees is founded by online baby product retailer FirstCry cofounder Supam Maheshwari and Edelweiss’ former president and group chief investment officer (CIO) Nitin Agarwal. It raised $150 million earlier this year.
Mamaearth, on the other hand, is a direct to consumer (D2C) brand that sells its beauty and personal care products both online and offline. The company has raised nearly $80 million (₹589 crore) as per regulatory filings. This appears to be a part of a larger round.
According to Entrackr, which first reported the development, Mamaearth has raised the latest round at a valuation of $1.07 billion. The company was valued at $750 million earlier this year, when it raised $50 million.
Mamaearth was founded by
Business Insider has reached out to Mamaearth for confirmation.
India added 11 ecommerce companies to the unicorn club in 2021. This includes online car retailers CarDekho, Droom and Spinny, social commerce company Meesho, D2C brand Licious and another Thras.io-style startup Mensa Brands.
On an average, India saw four startups turn unicorns on a monthly basis.
Update: Mamaearth on January 1 announced that it raised $52 million in a round led by Sequoia. The company was valued at $1.2 billion.
Reliance Industries, Sun Pharma, Dr Reddy’s and other hot stocks to watch out for on December 29
19 people who became millionaires by working for Indian tech startups
There is a small pool of hope amid all the fear around RBL Bank
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk said Twitter will start showing users how many people have seen their tweets, and got Jack Dorsey's approval
- Elon Musk reportedly told workers at his brain-chip startup to imagine they had bombs strapped to their heads to make them work faster
- A janitor laid off at Twitter's headquarters said one of Elon Musk's team members told him he'd be replaced by robots
- Adani Transmission to Deepak Nitrate, here are the fastest wealth creators
- Best mattress in India
- Rupee gains 10 paise to close at 82.28 against US dollar
- Sensex, Nifty50 log declines to close the week in red – IT, PSU banks and energy stocks drag
- Over 1.83 lakh Indians renounced their citizenship till October says external affairs ministry