Reliance Jio picks up serious pace, adds nine times more subscribers than Airtel in April – Vodafone Idea continues its downward spiral
Reliance Jiohas added over 12 million subscribers in March and April 2021, while its rival Airtelhas managed a little over 5 million.
- In terms of active subscribers, too, Reliance Jio is catching up with Airtel.
Vodafone Ideacontinues to decline in both the metrics – total subscribers, and active subscribers market share.
Even though Sunil Mittal-led Airtel has the highest rate of active subscribers, it may not matter if Jio continues to add new subscribers at this pace.
TOP VIDEOS FOR YOUOn the other hand, Vodafone Idea’s decline continues to worsen – it lost over 1.8 million subscribers in the same period.
Overall, from April 2020 through April 2021, Reliance Jio added over 40 million subscribers, while Airtel added a little over 25 million. In the same period, Vodafone Idea lost over 33 million subscribers.
Airtel’s active subscriber market share highest, but Jio is catching up
Another metric to see how well a telecom company is performing is active market share – it shows how many subscribers are actively paying for, and using the company’s services.
Airtel’s performance in this regard continues to be exceptional – it has an active subscriber rate of over 98%. Vodafone Idea, despite its troubles, stands at over 90%. However, Jio’s rate continued to be under 80% in April, only 78% of its subscribers were actively using and paying for services.
That being said, Reliance Jio is picking up pace once again when it comes to active subscriber market share. Airtel has maintained a steady improvement in its growth rate. However, Vodafone Idea’s downward spiral seems to be continuing unabated.
Airtel is offering a combined plan for mobile, broadband and DTH for those who can afford all 3
Airtel's India business is back in the black after a very long time
Reliance Jio is making less money off its subscribers than it did 12 months ago
- Realme’s sub-brand DIZO launches its first budget smartwatch in India at ₹3,499
- Radico launches a music video to honour Indian athletes at the Tokyo Olympics
- ₹10,000 invested in IRCTC shares on listing is worth more than ₹38,000 today — the record could get even better
- e-RUPI explained — India’s new electronic voucher-based payment system to reduce leakage in welfare programmes
- MyGlamm launches its first ever national TVC starring brand ambassador Shraddha Kapoor