Reliance Jio picks up serious pace, adds nine times more subscribers than Airtel in April – Vodafone Idea continues its downward spiral
Reliance Jiohas added over 12 million subscribers in March and April 2021, while its rival Airtelhas managed a little over 5 million.
- In terms of active subscribers, too, Reliance Jio is catching up with Airtel.
Vodafone Ideacontinues to decline in both the metrics – total subscribers, and active subscribers market share.
AdvertisementMukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio is picking up serious pace after lagging behind Airtel in terms of new subscriber additions. In April 2021, Reliance Jio added over 4.7 million new subscribers, while Airtel managed only a little over 0.5 million.
Even though Sunil Mittal-led Airtel has the highest rate of active subscribers, it may not matter if Jio continues to add new subscribers at this pace.
On the other hand, Vodafone Idea’s decline continues to worsen – it lost over 1.8 million subscribers in the same period.
Overall, from April 2020 through April 2021, Reliance Jio added over 40 million subscribers, while Airtel added a little over 25 million. In the same period, Vodafone Idea lost over 33 million subscribers.
Airtel’s active subscriber market share highest, but Jio is catching up
Another metric to see how well a telecom company is performing is active market share – it shows how many subscribers are actively paying for, and using the company’s services.
Airtel’s performance in this regard continues to be exceptional – it has an active subscriber rate of over 98%. Vodafone Idea, despite its troubles, stands at over 90%. However, Jio’s rate continued to be under 80% in April, only 78% of its subscribers were actively using and paying for services.
AdvertisementThat being said, Reliance Jio is picking up pace once again when it comes to active subscriber market share. Airtel has maintained a steady improvement in its growth rate. However, Vodafone Idea’s downward spiral seems to be continuing unabated.
Airtel is offering a combined plan for mobile, broadband and DTH for those who can afford all 3
Airtel's India business is back in the black after a very long time
Reliance Jio is making less money off its subscribers than it did 12 months ago
Popular on BI
- An American tourist in Seoul said he sprayed graffiti in 155 places to raise awareness about teeth grinding
- X could lose $75 million in ad revenue after a litany of controversies from Elon Musk, including his endorsement of antisemitic comments, report says
- The S&P 500 will trade near its all-time high before a recession drags it down again in a topsy-turvy 2024, Société Générale says
- 10 Best honeymoon places near Delhi
- Samsung launches new smartphone with 50 MP camera in India
- Unveiling the sweet side of corn: 7 mouthwatering recipes
- Delhi's top must-do winter activities this season
- Tata Technologies IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more