Reliance Jio picks up serious pace, adds nine times more subscribers than Airtel in April – Vodafone Idea continues its downward spiral
Reliance Jiohas added over 12 million subscribers in March and April 2021, while its rival Airtelhas managed a little over 5 million.
- In terms of active subscribers, too, Reliance Jio is catching up with Airtel.
Vodafone Ideacontinues to decline in both the metrics – total subscribers, and active subscribers market share.
Even though Sunil Mittal-led Airtel has the highest rate of active subscribers, it may not matter if Jio continues to add new subscribers at this pace.
On the other hand, Vodafone Idea’s decline continues to worsen – it lost over 1.8 million subscribers in the same period.
Overall, from April 2020 through April 2021, Reliance Jio added over 40 million subscribers, while Airtel added a little over 25 million. In the same period, Vodafone Idea lost over 33 million subscribers.
Airtel’s active subscriber market share highest, but Jio is catching up
Another metric to see how well a telecom company is performing is active market share – it shows how many subscribers are actively paying for, and using the company’s services.
Airtel’s performance in this regard continues to be exceptional – it has an active subscriber rate of over 98%. Vodafone Idea, despite its troubles, stands at over 90%. However, Jio’s rate continued to be under 80% in April, only 78% of its subscribers were actively using and paying for services.
That being said, Reliance Jio is picking up pace once again when it comes to active subscriber market share. Airtel has maintained a steady improvement in its growth rate. However, Vodafone Idea’s downward spiral seems to be continuing unabated.
Airtel is offering a combined plan for mobile, broadband and DTH for those who can afford all 3
Airtel's India business is back in the black after a very long time
Reliance Jio is making less money off its subscribers than it did 12 months ago
Popular on BI
- Apple is hiring engineers and interns for their tech team in India
- Actor James Michael Tyler, known for his role as Gunther on 'Friends,' has passed away at 59 from prostate cancer
- Apple is being sued by a San Francisco man for $1,383.13, the exact cost of his iPhone 12. He says the company refused to fix the device while it was under warranty.
- OYO IPO now faces a hurdle from a hotels lobby with 55,000 members, aside from Zostel
- Best nose pins for those without piercing in India
- Zika virus: Centre sends a multi-disciplinary team to Uttar Pradesh's Kanpur after a 57-year-old man dies due to the virus
- Paint makers stress over high raw material costs and fewer tinting machines even as festive demand picks up
- Best nail cutter sets in India