Learning foreign languages can help you get better jobs — here’s how
- 129 million or 10.9% people in India speak English as their first language.
- Here is a list of a few
foreign languagesyou can learn to enhance your career.
- With globalisation at its peak, companies across the globe are always looking out for professionals who can speak at least one foreign language.
However, English is not so popular in countries like China or Japan where people mostly speak their local languages. Thus, there is a rising demand in the job market for people who are fluent in multiple foreign languages.
These are some foreign languages with which you can enhance your career or make a career switch —
Germany is an economic powerhouse which offers plenty of job opportunities across industries. Learning the language can definitely boost your career prospects. There are six levels in German and one needs to clear all the levels in order to become an expert. Duolingo, Alison, Udemy are some online platforms that offer German language courses with a certification.
There are around 20 Spanish-speaking countries in the world, making it another popular language in terms of a career boost. With growing business relations between Spain and India, it can offer immense opportunities to grow your career. Mastering six levels in Spanish can make you fluent in the language. Coursera, Udemy, Duolingo, edX, and Alison can be good starting points.
The scope of learning Japanese is comparatively high and there is less competition in the job market as fewer people choose to learn this language. There are five levels in Japanese, N1(first level) is considered as the most difficult level whereas N5 (last level) is considered as the easiest level.
5. Mandarin Chinese
AdvertisementCompanies are often looking out for Chinese speaking professionals who can help them operate in China’s cultural context. Very few people in India can speak Chinese, thus it can definitely give your career an edge. There are six HSK levels in Chinese which you need to clear in order to become an expert.
With globalisation at its peak, companies across the globe are always looking out for professionals who can speak at least one foreign language depending on the job requirements.
These are some well paying foreign language jobs you can go for —
Interpreters are different from translators, they act as a bridge between two people who speak different languages. Interpreters are primarily found in public and official events like international conferences, company meetings, media houses, sports events, tourist centers etc. Scope of being an interpreter is vast and growing at a fast pace. An interpreter can expect to earn around ₹6,00,000 per annum as per job site Indeed.
3. Jobs in embassies
AdvertisementEmbassies of different countries offer jobs to those who speak their language as front desk, call attendant, support officer, administrative specialist, information technology (IT) professional, customer executive and many more. Embassies pay well to the professionals who are fluent in their languages. Embassies can offer a comprehensive package upto ₹10,00,000 per annum depending on the role and experience.
4. Jobs in international organisations
The United Nations (UN) is the largest international organisation with several agencies operating in different countries. The UN is always hunting for people who not only can speak a foreign language, but also can work across various fields. UNESCO, UNICEF, ILO,WHO, WTO and many more are paying a good amount of money to the employees. Salary of an employee working in the UN depends on several factors.
5. Language corporate trainer/teacher
AdvertisementTeachers may or may not require prior experience depending on the organisation but one should be fluent. Several companies are always looking out for trainers who could help their employees with the language. An average salary of a language teacher is ₹40,000 per month in India, according to Glassdoor.
6. Recruiter/Human Resources
Organisations based in different countries from Europe to Asia to Africa need recruiters to interact with the employees and at the same time recruit the most suitable qualified candidates for the job from different countries and cultures. A recruiter can expect, in the beginning, to earn around ₹5,00,000 per annum, according to Glassdoor.
Microsoft, Airtel, BYJU’S, IIT-Bombay and more — here is a list of companies looking for interns
These are the hottest jobs in the cyber security industry right now, with a salary package of up to ₹23 lakh per annum
Popular on BI
- Paras Defence and Space Technologies IPO: Here’s how to check allotment status
- Google’s birthday: Here's a look at the significant milestones in Google's 23-year history
- Dolce & Gabbana want to make Elon Musk the ‘King of Crypto’ — but only if he can shell out more than ₹3.8 crore for the ‘Doge Crown’
- Buy biodegradable sanitary pads for women in India
- Best baby booster seat in India
- Amazon-backed Capital Float plans to go big in the buy now, pay later segment; raises $50 million
- Where Indians work — seven charts that show you the employment map of the world’s sixth largest economy
- Alibaba, Binance, Sparkpool and other companies are scrambling to avoid any heat from China over crypto concerns
- Freshworks IPO
- Paras Defence and Space IPO
- Instagram Posts
- Mukesh Ambani
- Apple iPhone 13
- Girish Mathrubootham
- ITC Share Price
- OnePlus Nord 2 smartphone
- Upcoming Movies in India
- New Smartphone in India
- Finolex Cables Share Price
- Paras Defence and Space IPO
- Epic Games
- Elon Musk
- Aditya Birla Sun Life
- Rajasthan PTET 2021 result