Here's What Would Happen If You Stopped Sleeping
If you are feeling a little tired this Monday morning, imagine how you would feel after days of not sleeping.
Laughing Squid directed us toward a video from ASAPScience that took a stab at trying to understand sleep. The video is embedded below. The reality is we don't know enough about
The longest anyone's been known to go without sleep is 11 days, the video says. Supposedly that person suffered no lasting health effects. But if you are staying up that long, you are likely also taking stimulants like caffeine and energy drinks, which have their own health effects.
But, others report going much longer without sleep, weeks to months, even. Likely these people have been experiencing "microsleeps."
They point to cases of the incredibly rare disease Fatal Familial
In the Michael Jackson trial an expert claimed that the performer had gone 60 days without REM sleep, because he had been put into a coma-like state nightly as a "treatment for his insomnia." Charles Czeisler of Harvard Medical School testified that this lack of REM sleep would have killed Jackson soon, if an overdose of the coma-inducing Propofol hadn't.
- Surrogacy rules changed, couples with medical condition can use donor gametes
- Reliance Jio and Airtel add subscribers as Vi’s subscriber base continues to decline
- Sensex, Nifty advance in early trade on positive global cues
- Infosys CEO Salil Parekh joins USISPF Board
- Manohar Joshi: The 'Sir' with a stern demeanour