A 6-year-old was hospitalized after eating a weed gummy. Her mother blames the candy-like packaging.
- Florida mother Morgan McCoy is urging parents and
cannabisusers to advocate for more explicit edible packaging.
- McCoy's 6-year-old ate a 50-milligram edible she thought was candy because it came in Hawaiian Punch-inspired packaging.
- Her daughter couldn't open her eyes, had convulsions, and needed to be hospitalized.
Morgan McCoy is advocating for more explicit edible cannabis packaging after her 6-year-old daughter accidentally ate a gummy that contained 50 milligrams of THC. Soon after, McCoy's daughter couldn't open her eyes, started having convulsions, and became unresponsive, so she took her to the emergency room.
The Florida-based mother and medical marijuana user wrote a detailed Facebook post about the events leading up to her daughter's hospitalization, and said the gummy's Hawaiian Punch-inspired packaging misled her child into thinking it was regular candy.
"I was up all night with my husband watching those machines. Her breaths per minute would drop to single digits at times, her heart rate would shoot up to alarming levels at others," McCoy wrote on Facebook about the May incident.
Since then, McCoy has reached out to local legislators, asking them to change cannabis packaging to more clearly reflect its contents. But she says she keeps getting redirected to other lawmakers, so she decided to ask other cannabis advocates and parents for help. She's also in the process of filing a class action lawsuit against the company that creates the product her child ate.
"We as parents are standing idly by while these companies are targeting our kids with what can be deadly doses of THC," McCoy wrote. "THC is a MEDICATION and needs to be packaged as such. Period."
This isn't the first time a child accidentally consumed cannabis
One study in Colorado, for instance, found that about twice as many kids visited an emergency room for accidental THC ingestion in the years after recreational marijuana stores opened than before. Annual poison-control cases increased five-fold, according to the study.
Children feel the effects of THC more intensely
While the effects of marijuana on children are similar to those found in adults, kids under the age of 12 may experience them more intensely because of their small size, according to the Children's Hospital of Colorado.
Red eyes, paranoia, confusion, and impaired balance are all signs your child potentially consumed cannabis, Insider previously reported.
Children are not legally allowed to consume marijuana in any form, so research on the long-term effects of consuming the substance at a young age doesn't exist.
- A student who accidentally became a millionaire with a cult following after selling his expressionless selfies as NFTs says he feels confused
- Internship at Bureau of Police Research & Development: Checkout all the details including last date, eligibility and stipend
- One of the largest cryptocurrency swapping platforms just lost $1.3 million as users failed to update approvals
- Consumers expect healthcare sector to see an increased allocation in the 2022 budget as the pandemic rages on: Kantar report
- Bharat Electronics Limited is looking to fill up 247 posts with a maximum monthly salary of ₹55,000
- iPhone SE 3, new iPad and Macs — Here’s what to expect from Apple’s spring event this year
- There are huge discounts on Nykaa, Zomato and shares of other listed tech startups
- ICICI Bank shares are sulking with the rest of the market, but analysts say it could make a lot of money for investors