A potentially lethal fungal disease is creeping into recovering Covid-19 patients, and the prognosis is not good
- Mucormycosis, also known as
Black Fungus, is a rare fungal infectionprimarily contracted in the Intensive Care Unit(ICU) of a hospital and can be pretty fatal — from losing vision to losing your life.
- Early symptoms include greyish-black crusting/pigmentation in the nose or oral cavity that may enlarge and block the nasal cavity.
- “We must educate healthcare workers, paramedics, and ICU technicians to frequently change flow meters’ water and sterilise oxygen tubing. Most importantly, only distilled water must be used, no tap/filter/RO water.” - Dr Vipin M. Vashishtha.
Disclaimer: This should not be considered medical advice. Please check with your doctor on medical procedures.
While the mortifying effects of the pandemic continue to hold our country to ransom, there is another rather fatal infection lingering in the background that doctors are witnessing in dozens of
Also known as Black Fungus, this rare fungal infection is primarily contracted in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of a hospital and can be pretty fatal — from losing vision to losing your life. But this is not a new phenomenon. Dr Vipin M. Vashishtha — former convener, IAP Committee on Immunisation, and paediatrician at Mangla Hospital and Research Centre,
Forty cases of the life-threatening infection have been detected in Surat, Gujarat, of which eight have lost their eyesight. In Delhi’s Sir
Sometimes called Zygomycosis, this infection caused by fungi belonging to the order Mucorales, targets patients whose immunity is low. It is caused by various kinds of fungi that are often found in decaying organic matter like spoiled bread, fruit, and vegetables, and in this case, the devices that are providing much-required oxygen to patients. And despite aggressive therapy, the overall mortality rate is high.
The symptoms usually start revealing themselves a day or two after recovery. Early symptoms include greyish-black crusting/pigmentation in the nose or oral cavity that may enlarge and block the nasal cavity. Another symptom could be spores of fungus depositing near the eyes that leads to ocular swelling. Some patients may get lesions over the cheeks. At a later stage, this fungus can make its way to the brain. It is quite a severe disease, and fatality can go up to 50%. Treatments include antifungal drugs like Amphotericin-B that are given intravenously and other supportive therapy.
The fungus thrives in hospitals where there is improper sterilisation of ventilator circuits and oxygen pipes. “Since, in the treatment of severe covid patients who need prolonged oxygen therapy through high-flow oxygen given through nostrils, via a ventilator, Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure (BiPAP), non-rebreathing mask (
At a place where our healthcare situation is grim, to say the least, contracting this rare fungal infection that could be avoided is yet another reminder that our healthcare system has entirely collapsed. Dr Vashishtha stresses that “we must educate healthcare workers, paramedics, and ICU technicians to frequently change flow meters’ water and sterilise oxygen tubing. Most importantly, only distilled water must be used, no tap/filter/RO water.”
AdvertisementGautam Adani’s net worth has crossed $60 billion – thanks to Adani Ports’ profits
China has broken another emissions record — and it is good news for some Indian companies
Google is now automatically turning on two-factor authentication for some accounts
Popular on BI
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders