Johnson & Johnson is moving its coronavirus vaccine into human trials by July, 2 months ahead of schedule
- The world's largest
healthcarecompany plans to start testing its coronavirus vaccinecandidate in humans in July.
- Johnson & Johnson said Wednesday it will move up the timeline by about two months to start clinical trials. Previously, the pharma giant was aiming to enter the clinic in September.
- The study will start in the second half of July and enroll 1,045 healthy volunteers in the US and Belgium.
- If the
vaccineworks, J&J has already pledged to distribute it at a nonprofit rate to help end the pandemic.
Johnson & Johnson said Wednesday it plans to start human testing of its
Previously, J&J had said the goal was to enter human trials in September. J&J is the world's largest healthcare company with a market value of $390 billion. The company has previously pledged to distribute its vaccine on a not-for-profit basis for emergency pandemic use.
Paul Stoffels, the company's chief scientific officer, said in a news release Wednesday that the accelerated pace stemmed from "the strength" of preclinical data and conversations with regulators.
The study will start in the second half of July and enroll 1,045 healthy volunteers in the US and Belgium. The initial study will have a placebo arm to compare results against. Researchers will look to see how safe and tolerable the vaccine is when injected in humans, and if it causes an immune response.
It won't be the only trial for J&J's vaccine. The company said it is talking with the US National Institutes of
J&J's program is one of more than 125 ongoing vaccine research programs. Ten are now in human testing, and more than 25 are expected to enter the clinic by year's end.
- Impact of AI on Customer Service
- Bengaluru cafe blast: Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah to chair meeting with top police officials today
- India retains full policy space for benefit of farmers, fishermen at WTO: Goyal
- Sensex, Nifty settle at new closing high levels in first part of special live trading session
- Passive Income Streams