Consuming refined grains is as bad as a diet with unhealthy sugars, oils says new study
- Participants were given a food frequency questionnaire for dietary assessments to evaluate dietary behaviours.
refined grainswas associated with increased risk of premature heart disease.
- Whole grain intake was inversely related to reduced risk of
AdvertisementHigher intake of refined grain may increase the risk of premature coronary artery disease (PCAD), finds a new study.
The findings indicate that eating refined grains was associated with increased risk of premature heart disease and
"A diet that includes consuming a high amount of unhealthy and refined grains can be considered similar to consuming a diet containing a lot of unhealthy sugars and oils," said author Mohammad Amin Khajavi Gaskarei from Isfahan University of Medical Sciences.
For the study, to be presented at the
In total, 1,168 patients with normal coronary arteries were included in the control group, while 1,369 patients with
Participants were given a food frequency questionnaire for dietary assessments to evaluate dietary behaviours and evaluate the association between whole grain and refined grain intake and the risk of PCAD in individuals without a prior diagnoses of heart disease.
After adjusting for confounders, a higher intake of refined grains was associated with an increased risk of PCAD, while whole grain intake was inversely related to reduced risk of PCAD.
SEE ALSO: Here’s everything you need to know about the made-in-India lightweight combat helicopter
Mumbai tops real estate sales and new launches in September quarter
Indian corporate credit quality remains strong in H1 of FY23: CRISIL
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk and more than 1,000 people sign an open letter calling for a pause on training AI systems more powerful than GPT-4
- The good news is, only old office buildings are doomed. The bad news is, that's 70% of them.
- Mobile payments pioneer Paytm ‘deeply rooted in India’ — social media users hail Paytm’s QR strength that powers India’s small merchants
- Musical Marathon: Backstreet Boys to Ultra music fests are ready to rock India in 2023
- IPL 2023 new rules – from two team sheets to impact player, here are the new rules
- Current Account Deficit narrows to 2.2% of GDP in Q3: RBI data
- No festive cheer for auto cos in March: PV sales ‘flattish’, 2Ws to see a slight uptick
- Star Sports gets a tech upgrade for IPL 2023: Dolby Atmos, Real-time Highlights, Ambience-only mode, and more explained