There will be four lunar eclipses in 2020 - with the second one scheduled for June 5
- A penumbral
lunar eclipseis schedule to take place on Friday, June 5.
- This will be the second penumbral lunar eclipse or
- Penumbral eclipses occur when the Sun, the Moon and the Earth are imperfectly aligned during a Full Moon.
The second penumbral lunar eclipse of the year is scheduled to occur on Friday, June 5 followed by the annular solar eclipse on June 21 and another penumbral lunar eclipse on July 5.
Not all eclipses are the same
The Moon shines because the lunar surface reflects the Sun’s rays. When the Earth comes between the Moon and the Sun, the result is an eclipse.
Although not all eclipses are the same, they do have one thing in common — there has to be a full moon in the sky on the night of the event.
A total lunar eclipse is when Earth’s shadow — the umbra — completely covers the moon. It’s also commonly known as the ‘blood moon’.
A partial lunar eclipse is when only a small part of the Moon is covered by the Earth’s umbra — but three celestial bodies are still aligned in an almost straight line creating a dark shadow.
During penumbral lunar eclipses, on the other hand, the celestial bodies are aligned but not in a straight line. Since the penumbra — the outer part of Earth’s shadow — is fainter than the umbra, the lunar surface will only darken slightly.
The difference is so subtle that the naked eye might not be able to tell a penumbral eclipse from a normal full moon.
AdvertisementHere are the four lunar eclipses scheduled to take place in 2020:
The first lunar eclipse of 2020 will occur on January 10, 2020
The second lunar eclipse will take place on June 5, 2020
A month later, the third lunar eclipse will occur on July 5, 2020
The fourth and final lunar eclipse of the year will take place on November 30, 2020
Popular on BI
- A startup founder was asked to do a coffee run on her first pitch, now she's among India's richest women
- Pathan, Liger, Godfather: Here’s a list of forthcoming movie releases that will decide the fate of the multiplexes
- Taj Mahal continues to lose its sheen due to pollution in the Yamuna and industrial emissions
- ICICI Bank market-cap hits ₹6 lakh crore as its stock rises to a record high
- Jio, Airtel could emerge stronger weakening Vodafone Idea further, say analysts