Global sportswear brand Under Armour heads to India, brings on board former Adidas exec Tushar Goculdas
- Under Armour plans to build up to 15 retail stores in India by 2021
- The company has poached Adidas veteran Tushar Goculdas.
- The sportswear brand has had an online presence in India through Myntra and Amazon.
AdvertisementGlobal sportswear brand Under Armour is all set to make its official India entry to take on the existing giants Nike and Adidas.
To do so, US-based Under Armour, which plans to set up retail outlets in the country, has also brought on board Adidas veteran Tushar Goculdas.
“We are investing in Asia Pacific as there are long-term growth opportunities. We have been concentrating in China over the last few years. Over the next couple of weeks, we will be establishing our retail presence in India,” Jason Archer, Managing Director of Under Armour’s Asia-Pacific region told Times of India, confirming plans for its India stores.
According to an ET report, the sportswear brand aims to have upto 15 outlets in India by 2021.
Goculdas comes on board after being the Vice President of Emerging Markets at Adidas, a position he held since February 2015. At Under Armour, he will be the managing director of India operations.
However, this is not the first time Indians will have access to Under Armour apparel. Earlier, the global brand had tied up with online platforms Amazon and Flipkart-owned Myntra to offer their products to the Indian audience. While its first exclusive contract was signed by Amazon India in 2017, the company then followed it up with a contract with Myntra too.
In the Indian sportswear market, Puma is currently leading sportswear brand, having moved past Adidas to take the number one position in the past one year.
Amazon's newest challenger may be the richest man in Asia
Virat Kohli creates another record but off-the-field, signs Rs 110 crore deal with Puma
Popular on BI
- The Cybertruck's lack of door handles confused its first buyers — leading Elon Musk to show them how to open the truck
- Adani Group to invest USD 75 bn to scale up AGEL's RE portfolio to 45 GW: Gautam Adani
- OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI. Here's how her team built her new chatbot.
- As road & rail projects gather steam, cap good companies set for a decadal growth opportunity
- Network18 group to merge TV, digital news businesses
- Electric eels can change the genetic composition of other organisms by shocking them!
- Exploring vibrant flavors: 10 healthy salad options in India
- 10 dry fruits to include in your daily winter diet