Nintendo's Mario Kart Tour sees 90 million downloads in its first week but is yet to rake in the big bucks
Mario Kart Tourhad 90 million unique downloads within the first week of its launch.
- This is a new record for the gaming company.
- Despite Mario Kart Tour's popularity, it trails behind other Ninendo games when it comes to making money.
And, it's an even split between Android and iOS users with 59.5% of the downloads coming from the Google's operating system, according to data from Sensor Tower.
This is the sixth game that Nintendo has launched for smartphones. Within 24 hours of its debut, the game raked in 20 million unique downloads with player spending reaching $1 million.
AdvertisementDespite the game's popularity , it has since been trailing behind other Nintendo games when it comes to making money.
More downloads, less money
Mario Kart Run is the biggest launch that Nintendo has ever seen. In comparison, the gaming mammoth's second most popular launch for mobile Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp , only managed to rake in 14.3 million unique downloads.
Even Super Mario Run, another game in the Mario franchise, barely managed to make it to a little under 13 million downloads within the first seven days of its launch.
So far, Mario Kart Run only managed to earn $12.7 million within the first seven days of its launch. This puts it in third place after Super Mario Run that earned $16.1 million and Fire Emblem Heroes' , which earned a whopping $28.2 million.
That being said, all three games work on different subscription models. Fire Emblem Heroes' is a free-to-play game where users have the option to make in-game purchases and Super Mario Run is entirely behind a paywall.
On the other hand, Mario Kart Tour is offering a two-week free trial of its Gold Pass. The Gold Pass allows users to participate in the fastest racing tier available in the game for $5 per month. This means that whether or not revenue will increase remains to be seen after the initial trial period ends.
Analysts are waiting to see if Mario Kart Tour will be able to beat the success of the hugely popular Pokémon Go, which launched last year.
In its first week, Pokémon Go was only able to rake in 38.5 million unique downloads but that was mostly because the game's release was limited to three countries. Since then, it has been able to earn $2.95 billion globally making $110 million in August alone.
AdvertisementThis sets a very high threshold for Mario Kart Tour to beat.
Mario Kart Tour is Nintendo's most popular mobile game launch ever, with 20 million downloads so far. Here's what it's like to play.
Here's everything we know about 'Mario Kart Tour,' the huge new game coming to smartphones this year
The 6 biggest things to expect from Nintendo in 2019
Popular on BI
- From marketing and tech to leadership - learn new skills and explore new possibilities with these Udemy courses
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Jio tariff hike and reports of bid for UK telco British Telecom help Reliance bounce back
- Valorant Mobile: Gameplay, release date and what to expect
- Cryptocurrency mining is causing power shutdowns in Kazakhstan, and China may be to blame
- Chip shortages to blame for Black Friday online sales dip
- Global COVID-19 caseload crosses 261 million and 5 million deaths so far