Nintendo is slipping as Animal Crossing hits 15 million downloads
- Nintendo's "Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp" app reached 15 million downloads in its first week of availability, according to SensorTower.
- Investors will be watching Nintendo's monetization strategy with the new game.
- Watch Nintendo's stock trade in real time here.
Nintendo is trading down about 1.34% after "Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp" recorded 15 million downloads in its first six days. The company's "Super Mario Run" attracted 32 million downloads in its first six days, according to data from Sensor Tower.Advertisement
Nintendo shares, which trade on the Tokyo exchange, are down on Tuesday after data from SensorTower showed its newest game was downloaded 15 million times in its first week of availability.
"Animal Crossing" is the company's third attempt at cracking the mobile market. Nintendo has said it was disappointed by the revenue generated by "Super Mario Run," which required a one-time payment to unlock most of the content in the app. The company's second game, "Fire Emblem Heroes," was better monetized but didn't have as much content to keep players coming back.
The new "Animal Crossing" game operates on a "freemium" model like a lot of other popular, and highly-grossing, apps. The game is free to play but offers certain items and the option to speed up gameplay elements by purchasing in-game currency.The game reached as high as the fifth highest-grossing app spot in the Japanese app store and is currently ranked number 10, according to SensorTower. In the US, the game reached as high as 72 in the highest-grossing list.
Nintendo executives are putting a lot of emphasis on nailing their mobile game offerings, and the company has learned a lot from its first two games, Jefferies has said previously. The company's intellectual property is strong and underestimating it could be a mistake, and the driver of success for Animal Crossing will be how well it is monetized.Nintendo is up 92.32% this year, and was trading at about 47,080 yen a share Tuesday morning.Read more about Nintendo's mobile strategy.Advertisement
- UP minister tests positive for COVID-19
- Come back and innovate in India, Indian minister Dharmendra Pradhan tells overseas students
- Godrej looks to gain mkt share, add distressed projects amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Karnataka's COVID-19 tally may double in next 15-30 days: Health Minister
- UP govt announces complete lockdown on weekends to check COVID-19 spread