WhatsApp and Facebook get snubbed by the Delhi High Court that allowed India’s competition regulator to probe Mark Zuckerberg’s companies
Delhi High Courthas given the green light for the Competition Commission of India(CCI) to conduct its investigation against WhatsApp and Facebook.
- The CCI contends that excessive data collection and sharing between the two social media giants could be harmful to the competition environment.
- Facebook’s argument that an investigation could not be conducted against it because WhatsApp is a subsidiary was also rejected.
AdvertisementFacebook’s argument that an investigation could not be conducted against it because WhatsApp is a subsidiary was also rejected.
It’s not about privacy, it’s about excessive data sharing
The competition watchdog contends that WhatsApp is using its dominant position in the market to force users to share information with its parent company, Facebook.
And, this ‘excessive’ data collection will get in the way of maintaining a healthy competitive environment. New players, who may want to enter the market, will not be able to operate that the same scale.
For now, the CCI is free to go ahead with its investigation. Meanwhile, WhatsApp and Facebook will have another battle to face in the Supreme Court.
Earth Day: The impact of ESG investing on environment is not clear— but its effect on money is real
Revolut starts India operations, appoints former Lendingkart, Flipkart executive Paroma Chatterjee as CEO
Hero MotoCorp, Nestle India, HDFC and other top stocks to watch out for on April 22
Popular on BI
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders